The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First stick burner (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166427)

wango 07-20-2013 08:29 PM

First stick burner

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all. I've been wanting to build a hog roaster for some time now. I use to borrow my buddy's roaster when I needed one, but he passed away last year and the roaster passed to one of his kids who live out of state. So I've been looking around for the material I need to build one. I finally got the nod from my better half and started searching on craigslist for a trailer axle and a tank when I came across this unit for $500. I figured I would have that much or more into building one so I went to look at it today and brought it home. It has a couple small places that need a little welding/patching, it was pretty dirty inside and the firebox had a bunch of ash packed into it. But I got it cleaned up this afternoon, power washed everything, including the deck and started repainting it. I ran out of paint before I finished but I'll get some more tomorrow and stain the deck when it dries out. I hope to fire it up tomorrow and cook some ribs on it. This is my first stick burner, any tips?

wango 07-20-2013 08:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
After I got it cleaned up and started repainting it

HookedOnQ 07-20-2013 08:36 PM

Very cool setup! For that price I think you got a deal. Looking forward to some pics once its cleaned up and painted

Edit... that seconed set of pics wont there when I posted... you got it looking good already. That handle setup to open it is pretty interesting looks like somthing you see on an old tractor

dwfisk 07-20-2013 08:43 PM

Really neat design! I bet that beast is gonna make some good Q, let us know when you fire it up. From the size, my guess is you will need a pretty good sized fire, dry hardwood will help get-R-hot.

Garrett 07-20-2013 08:56 PM

Aaahhh.... The joy of a new cooker!!! Looks like you're getting it clean up nice. That roof will be nice to work under. I would save and spend the money to put tin on it.

wango 07-20-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2559017)
Aaahhh.... The joy of a new cooker!!! Looks like you're getting it clean up nice. That roof will be nice to work under. I would save and spend the money to put tin on it.

It came with a tarp, but its in pretty rough shape. The previous owner said he would go through one cheapy tarp per year and one time he had one go up in flames when the drains got plugged and he had an out of control grease fire going on. He said it was a little embarressing in his church parking lot.:doh:

frognot 07-20-2013 09:06 PM

That's a beast of a smoker there!

wango 07-20-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2559017)

I think you're right tin would be better and last alot longer and less flamable.

I have some good dry beech out at my deer camp, anybody ever smoke/cook with it before?

Murray in N.Z. 07-20-2013 10:52 PM

Awesome looking score there, you did well. Best advice ... get started, the more you cook the more you learn and with a backyard special like that experience is going to be your only teacher. Great idea using a drum cookers door for the firebox, they are pretty darned foolproof.

Git R Dun

Muzza, slumming it with the crims in Perth for a while.

pbj 07-21-2013 12:03 AM

Run a test burn to see how it holds temps and how it reacts to adding splits. You need to know your pit. Looks good

SmokinAussie 07-21-2013 01:11 AM

Hows the weight distribution on that trailer. Looks like being seriously heavy up the back end. What do you do to keep the front end down?????

Cheers!

Bill

cholloway 07-21-2013 02:33 AM

Looks like it'll be a good cooker. Congrats!

Titch 07-21-2013 02:38 AM

Ohh and a Pulpit in the front, how awesome is that.
Mate it needs a picket fence and its a home away from home.
Great pickup

Garrett 07-21-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinAussie (Post 2559179)
Hows the weight distribution on that trailer. Looks like being seriously heavy up the back end. What do you do to keep the front end down?????

Cheers!

Bill

Don't you see??? That Busch Beer is holding it down!!

wango 07-22-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinAussie (Post 2559179)

Cheers!

Bill

Believe it or not, it actually pulls pretty good. Very little tongue weight maybe 60-70lbs, but it pulls fine. I hauled it home 65-70mph on the highway with no problem. Has me thinking I could rework the front and add a sink, hot water heater, holding tanks, some storage, propane tanks for turkey fryers and maybe a kegerator. Doh! May need a bigger trailer!
Cooked some ribs on it yesterday, it took a bit to get it to temp but after that it seemed to hold pretty good, of course I kept messing with it and that probably didn't help, but I can't help myself its like having a new toy to play with.