The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   For the Board (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   New infor on KCBS contest listing (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38898)

Merl 03-08-2008 04:22 PM

New infor on KCBS contest listing

KCBS is in the process of including additional information on the contest database.

When KCBS receives the guaranteed prize money letter, that amount is published on the web and in the Bullsheet for contest listings.

In addition the percentage of CBJ's from last year is being posted as well.

The purpose of this information is to help cooks and CBJ's choose which contest they desire to compete or participate at. I hope you will find these and other web updates beneficial to you as cooks, CBJ's and organizers.

WWW.KCBS.US
Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

Plowboy 03-08-2008 04:35 PM

I like that, Merl.

we'll smoke u 03-08-2008 05:09 PM

Merl keep up the great work!!!

arlieque 03-08-2008 05:51 PM

This may get KCBS in some trouble, I feel. I have looked at the posted info and I feel this should read Prize Package, not prize money!!!!

Arlie

ThomEmery 03-08-2008 08:38 PM

Good point

Merl 03-08-2008 10:05 PM

The reason for the post in that way, is that KCBS requires a letter guaranteeing the prize money. Yes they do make the organizer to deliver prizes as advertises. But it is the Money when we have pulled sanctioning when changed. This has been the problem area. In addition it is a black hole to determine the value of prizes. Retail, list, wholesale, or what.

The sanctioning agreement provides:
4. Within 90 days of the contest date, I agree to submit to KCBS a list of
all prize monies and a letter guaranteeing payment of said money.
5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5
places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion.
This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising.

I agree it is important for users of the web to understand the difference.

The web listing is based upon the letter guaranteeing payment of money.

Merl

arlieque 03-09-2008 09:18 AM

I understand all that as you know but lets face it a letter doesnt mean a thing. It is just a piece of paper and all it does is give KCBS a out to tell the teams , "Well we have a letter that guarantees that the contest has said it will pay." Can they make them pay if they don't?

FatBoyz 03-09-2008 09:24 AM

why is kcbs making harded for comps 25 for non member teams hell if i sactioned mine it would cost me 800 why, there are programs out there to score.
I do not mean any disrespect

smoke-n-my-i's 03-09-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlieque (Post 583920)
I understand all that as you know but lets face it a letter doesnt mean a thing. It is just a piece of paper and all it does is give KCBS a out to tell the teams , "Well we have a letter that guarantees that the contest has said it will pay." Can they make them pay if they don't?

My very first comp ended up that way.... they advertised paying through 10th place.... about a week before the event, we got an email saying that they were only going to pay through 3rd place, and if we wanted to drop out we could. We opted to stay. After arriving and setting up, we found out that the sanctioning had been pulled.... It took them over a month to pay the winners, and the GC had to work out a deal to get his.

So, the letter doesn't mean anything, like Arlie says.... just a piece of paper with words on it.

arlieque 03-09-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke-n-my-i's (Post 584162)
My very first comp ended up that way.... they advertised paying through 10th place.... about a week before the event, we got an email saying that they were only going to pay through 3rd place, and if we wanted to drop out we could. We opted to stay. After arriving and setting up, we found out that the sanctioning had been pulled.... It took them over a month to pay the winners, and the GC had to work out a deal to get his.

So, the letter doesn't mean anything, like Arlie says.... just a piece of paper with words on it.

There is a way to do it but it requires some work on the part of KCBS.

drbbq 03-09-2008 07:45 PM

I think it's great Merl. Thanks.
The cash is the right way to list it. This will keep contest organizers from inflating their number with overvalued prizes.

Neal 03-09-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drbbq (Post 584418)
The cash is the right way to list it. This will keep contest organizers from inflating their number with overvalued prizes.

Agreed...been in some contests where a larger purse is advertised, but when you add up the money, it includes an overvalued (sometimes not-so-great) cooker and/or other items that really don't interest me as much as the money.

drbbq 03-10-2008 10:45 AM

Wanna buy an electric turkey fryer or a knife set? NIB.

Neal 03-10-2008 02:06 PM

Suggested retail value: $150!