The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NKC MO BBQ State Championship (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99914)

Smokin' Hicks 02-01-2011 10:50 AM

NKC MO BBQ State Championship

Anyone entering this competition or have had entered it before? It will be our first one and was just wondering how it was....it is Match 11th & 12th

HarleyEarl 02-01-2011 11:17 AM

We'll be there again this year. Prepare for any type of weather - one year I was in shorts, last year I was bundled up - mist or rain the whole time. This is a pretty large contest with over 100 teams. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Smokin' Hicks 02-01-2011 11:30 AM

is it a well organized comp.? electricity? ice? anything else you can think of to watchout for or bring would be great to know....when we pull up that day do they assign us to our spots? we are getting a double spot, dont need it all but it will be nice to have the room i think, can pull the trailer in which is 16' with all our stuff on it and then park the truck on that spot also so easy load and unload....does that sound like a decent plan?....the one comp i did last year it almost killed us walking back and fourth to get stuff from the truck, was 35 degrees and raining no heaters totally unprepared but now i know

HarleyEarl 02-01-2011 11:45 AM

Overall it was organized pretty well, there were some minor issues but nothing to get worked up about, at least until the award's ceremony which was late (I think it was about an hour after planned start) and the Reps did not give out detailed sheets due to printer problems. There is no eletricity, so you need a generator. I think ice was available, but didn't need any (it was mighty cold and the ice I brought didn't melt off). When you pull up in front of the bowling alley they will check you in and assign a spot. Be prepared for the double spot - last year they were 18' wide and 40' long, not 36'x20'. I probably won't even disconnect the trailer from the truck if the trailer is level - love having the truck in next to the trailer.

Stop by & say hi - I'm going to try to get my same spot back which is on the grass almost due west of the turn-in.

HarleyEarl 02-01-2011 11:48 AM

Oh, I also noticed that the KCBS turn-ins don't start until 1:00, so you will have to move your normal cooking schedule back an hour.

Smokin' Hicks 02-01-2011 11:51 AM

sound good, I'll take you up on that.....gotta alot to see on set ups and such at this comp. like i said i am very much a rookie but think i have a pretty nice set up....its all on a 16' x 6.5' trailer no cover over it but it is pretty much all self contained on the trailer

bluegrass&bbq 02-01-2011 12:10 PM

Man I love this...Old hands giving rookies advice and encouragement
What a GREAT forum this is.

KC_Bobby 02-01-2011 12:57 PM

This will be our first year at this comp and our first comp of the year.

Just Pulin' Pork 02-01-2011 01:02 PM

Overall a decently run contest. Harley is right be ready for any kind of weather. An FYI on this contest I believe they have moved locations down the street. Check there website.

HarleyEarl 02-01-2011 01:25 PM

Where did you see the information about the change of location? From what I see Check in at Finnegan's Lobby & Cook's Meeting and awards in Waterford Room which is the same as last year. Turn in was also at the west door of the building which is the Waterford room. A couple years ago, you had to walk about 2 blocks to the firestation. Last year they said that everything was moved to the Finnegan's/Bowling Alley property due to liability issues (mainly alcohol) and the parade.

HarleyEarl 02-01-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 1532915)
This will be our first year at this comp and our first comp of the year.

It'll be nice to see you guys again! It's our first one of the year also. Between NKC & the Royal well be doing about 20 contests.:crazy: Yes, I'm addicted to Comp Q. Can't wait to get rolling. :thumb:

Smokin' Joe 02-01-2011 02:08 PM

This looks like it will probably be our first of the year as well, looking forward to getting back out there. Gotta get this trailer finished:becky:

Balls Casten 02-01-2011 02:34 PM

We're in!
Missed last year but enjoyed the two years before that. Other than needing power its a great contest. Our guests also enjoyed the parade and bands at the bars that were walking distance away.

Sticks-n-chicks 02-02-2011 08:29 AM

We'll be there we have cooked this the last 2 years, weather can be the killer, first year was great 40's last year it was cold. The only complaints we had were port-o-potties were full on Saturday and awards were way late. We used a generator (they don't offer power).

Just Pulin' Pork 02-02-2011 11:25 AM

Here is the link that explains the change in location. It looks like its right down the street.

http://www.nkcrotary.org/