The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   wings cut or whole? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131020)

Hozman 04-19-2012 11:25 AM

wings cut or whole?

doing a birthday party. be about 20 people and doing pulled pork and wings. Cooking 10 lbs butt for sandwiches and 10 lbs wings. I was going to buy large wings. My question is would you guys seperate the drummie from the other wing section or leave them whole. Seperate be twice as many pieces to help with numbers?? Be easier to cook on UDS if left whole. So leave whole or cut?

Bill-Chicago 04-19-2012 11:35 AM

My own experience with wings for parties is that whole ends up with too much waste. (but the parties I have had when making them had younger eaters for the most part)

With the pieces, when they took a bite and realized they were full, there was still another piece (from the original wing) for the next person. With the whole wings, that one bite and done led to more waste.

Again, older eaters might not be a problem.

Also, I don't own a UDS so if its easier to do whole, maybe leave them. Or pick up a few cooking screens, then you can lift out whole trays at a time and the pieces will not be a problem.

Good luck with you cooking gig!

The_Kapn 04-19-2012 12:06 PM

When I prep mine, I snip off the tip and then cut through the skin from the inside of the joint. This cut goes all the way to the joint, but leaves it intact.

That way, I can cook them in one peice and they are super easy to just break apart when done prior to dipping or saucing.

Kinda the best of both worlds. :-D

Good Eats.

TIM

Pappy 04-19-2012 12:17 PM

I prefer cut. When eating out, if they are whole, I pass.

fingerlickin' 04-19-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kapn (Post 2021632)
When I prep mine, I snip off the tip and then cut through the skin from the inside of the joint. This cut goes all the way to the joint, but leaves it intact.

That way, I can cook them in one peice and they are super easy to just break apart when done prior to dipping or saucing.

Kinda the best of both worlds. :-D

Good Eats.

TIM

I do this as well. The tips are a real PIA to cut off but once you get through a couple you get into a rhythm. Once they are cooked the rest separates very easy. I think doing the cut on them lets the skin retract and become part of the wing so you don't feel like your eating just a flap of skin when they're done. It's nice to have them whole for ease of flipping.

Pyle's BBQ 04-20-2012 01:15 AM

I get large wings from Sysco that are already separated. The come in 40# boxes and there are about 275/box.