MSG Seasoned Ground Chuck Cheeseburgers

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got my order today for the MSG, picked up the delivery box and it was pretty heavy, 2 lbs is going to be a lot to go through.

Picture009-1.jpg

Had the butcher grind me up a couple Chuck Roasts, saved one for later. Formed the Patties and seasoned with only the MSG.

Picture013.jpg

Did up a couple Green Chili's as usual for my wife.

Picture020-1.jpg

Double American cheese on all

Picture028.jpg

Picture027-3.jpg

Went pretty lite on the seasoning, 1/2 Tsp per lb, this was 3 lbs of meat. Think I will bump it up a bit next time. I could really start to taste the flavor pop, can't wait to try it on some Chuck Eye Steaks.

Guess it is a good thing I ordered extra, this will let me really do some experimentation with many different cooks.

You Rebel!!! :becky:

Tasty looking burgers Terry. Know what I'm havin for dinner tonight now :cool:

Nice!:hungry: Those look delicious!

You might try intermingling more umami flavors as opposed to just adding more MSG. The powdered pure MSG can givea metallic taste if overused. This is why I like to use it as an added boost to existing umami as opposed to being the driver. For example, simply adding another umami flavor to the mix can multiply the flavor explosion. You could either mix in or sprinkle on a little Wooster for example. Or you could go for a cheese with a stronger umami flavor, a little bit of a sharp cheddar might be nice, jsut a few sprinkles underneath the American slices perhaps, or sub the American for cheddar entirely if you think you would prefer it that way. Maybe some grilled mushrooms even? You can add a little soy to the mushrooms as they are cooking and you are tripling the umami in that event.

Just food for thought.

Google "umami".

Then consider granulated sugar (or even HFCS) equals sweet in a similar fashion to MSG equals umami. Granulated sugar(and HFCS) is also villified as an unhealthy substance leading to all sorts of health related issues, and we have even seen some bans or restrictions in some places, haven't we?

This concludes todays lesson on MSG and umami.

MSG is a brain tease, it has a way of making your brain think that what it is used on is the best thing you have ever ate. I Love it.

You might try intermingling more umami flavors as opposed to just adding more MSG. The powdered pure MSG can givea metallic taste if overused. This is why I like to use it as an added boost to existing umami as opposed to being the driver. For example, simply adding another umami flavor to the mix can multiply the flavor explosion. You could either mix in or sprinkle on a little Wooster for example. Or you could go for a cheese with a stronger umami flavor, a little bit of a sharp cheddar might be nice, jsut a few sprinkles underneath the American slices perhaps, or sub the American for cheddar entirely if you think you would prefer it that way. Maybe some grilled mushrooms even? You can add a little soy to the mushrooms as they are cooking and you are tripling the umami in that event.

Just food for thought.

Hmm, surprised you didn't suggest adding some peanut butter and anchovies :crazy:

Just food for thought.

Thanks Chris, very good info, I will be trying a lot of new flavor profiles now. I appreciate your input!!!

I could eat a burger like that once a day. I think they should be their own food group. Yours look great, now my PBJ ain't gonna cut it for lunch!

Why buy msg by mail? Don't they have Accent in the spice aisle of your supermarket?

Why not add a little worchestershire to your meat? Or some chopped and sauteed ****aki shrooms? Hmm, does shidaki work?

:confused:

Last edited:
Has anyone had any issues with the MSG (when sprinkled on the surface) making the bark / crust soft or mushy?
Sorry for throwing out such a high tech term as “mushy”.

I will never understand why ppl think msg is bad. It's all natural and if you Google it and find the tests that were done with and without some complained of headaches when there was none in the test food at all. I use it in many things including my ruds. 1st place trophies don't lie. And never had a judge complain of a headache. Ppl are funny. It's an old wives tale in my book. Then again some are allergic to everything.

Hmm, surprised you didn't suggest adding some peanut butter and anchovies :crazy:

Nice looking burgers bro. When ever we have people over for get togethers they always ask, man how did you get so much flavor into the meat.
There are multiple things that can be used to give a umami kick. My number one umami booster is red boat #40 fish sauce. It's super high quality stuff. It smells like catfish bait by itself but once cooked, it's completely gone. It's made from fermented anchovies. Want the best burger you have ever eaten in your entire life? Here is my best burger ever recipe. Umami kick from hell!

2 lbs fresh ground chuck 80/20
2T teriyaki (very underrated ingredient)
1t red boat #40 fish sauce
2t Tabasco chipotle
1T minced garlic
I like my burgers Med so I do not add egg for a binder.
Fold the ingredients into the meat well and refrigerate 4 hrs for the meat to tighten back up, then form patties.
Season with my J&J money seasoning on both sides like you would salt and grill high temp
b3717dc8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back