The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I need a rib coach for comp style spares (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51260)

Jacked UP BBQ 10-27-2008 10:51 AM

I need a rib coach for comp style spares

:lol:Please someone tell me something. I thought I produced the best ribs I could this weekend and obviously it was not good enough. Perfectly cooked, Nice glaze, nice ring, great flavor. But once again it could have been subjective to my taste. No over powering flavors, just damn good meat. Please help it is killing me, that I feel I am missing something.:icon_sick:arrow::grin:

Scottie 10-27-2008 11:09 AM

I would recommend a I Smell Smoke!!! cooking class...

watg? 10-27-2008 11:27 AM

I would second that motion. Several teams that took the class this past June have improved their rib scores.

Jacked UP BBQ 10-27-2008 11:29 AM

I tried about six months ago and they told me that they had no classes in the future, do you know where I can find that info. Thanks

mds2 10-27-2008 11:30 AM

Where are you located?

Edit: When you aren't at the strip club?

Jacked UP BBQ 10-27-2008 11:36 AM

NJ born and bread

watg? 10-27-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 767027)
I tried about six months ago and they told me that they had no classes in the future, do you know where I can find that info. Thanks

Keep an eye on ISS website and also the BBQ Guru site, or you can ask YankeeBBQ to let you know when they get another class scheduled. He is a frequent visitor here.

BBQSMYBFF 10-27-2008 11:40 AM

Maybe you should stop it with all that stupid bookaky rubbin you do with your meat...

or maybe buy yourself an fec100.. then you can have it all figured out.. i am offering classes tonight with some ribs if you want to stop by.. got about 4 people going to be there...

hopefully it will be good enough for the dogs to eat!!

but stop on by.. anytime....

you know where!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scottie 10-27-2008 11:41 AM

I think Steve will owe me a cut... Or a lobstah.... :roll:

YankeeBBQ 10-28-2008 08:31 AM

We don't have any classes scheduled right now. We'll probably do something in the spring.

Dan - 3eyzbbq 10-28-2008 08:46 AM

Hey OC-

Why not post what you did and let people critique?

If you keep it simple with ribs you'll do good.

Jacked UP BBQ 10-28-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq (Post 767780)
Hey OC-

Why not post what you did and let people critique?

If you keep it simple with ribs you'll do good.

Here it goes - St louis style ribs removed membrane and all the fat all over the top, they looked nice.

Rubbed with a light glaze of grey poupon and put a nice even coat of hen and hog, added some sea salt over top. Le them sit for about five hours.

Smoked them over apple, cherry, and hickory for four hours, spraying every 30 minutes with applejuice.

For the last hour we put a nice glaze of blues hog sauce over them, not to heavy, you were still able to see the beautiful bark.

With fifteen minutes left, we put a finishing glaze of blues hog and aj.

Sliced and served those thick juicy biothces and got horrible scores according to the flavor and look, they tasted awesome. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

ihbobry 10-28-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 767930)
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable giving advice but I think you are way to busy.

You have so much going on, I'd start from scratch and rebuild the recipe keeping it simple. You have 4 sauces and 3 woods? Plus an apple spray? Smoke with one wood then the other till you know what each is doing, not 3 @ a time.

Plus what's your cook time? Do you foil? When? Temps?

Cue's Your Daddy 10-28-2008 11:42 AM

i thought u and your brother didnt use commercial bbq sauce or rubs?

Jacked UP BBQ 10-28-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy (Post 767959)
i thought u and your brother didnt use commercial bbq sauce or rubs?

first try at a comp, just started, i figured I would go main stream, look where it got me!:cry::lol: