The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Final LI Sandy Cook: Need volunteers (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147751)

motoeric 11-13-2012 10:30 PM

Final LI Sandy Cook: Need volunteers

This weekend will be the last that I'll be involved with the organizing of cook for victims of Sandy.

Things are NOT definite right now, but it looks like we will be cooking in Lindenhurst. In some strange turnabout, we may be at a park that is actually on the water. It'd be nice stand on the shore, look out at the water and say 'fark you' as we continue to feed those affected.

Whether it's at the location we are looking at or not, we will at least cook on Saturday. I doubt that we will be there Sunday, but that will be a game day decision.

We need some volunteers to help cook. We also need some pits and grills. We will be cooking pork loins, pork shoulders, turkeys and maybe hams. It would be great to give these people a taste of Thanksgiving.

If anyone has any facility with traditional sides that can be cooked on a smoker or grill, please let me know. I'm thinking mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.

Phil will be there, as will Santa, myself and whoever we can coerce into a third weekend of cooking for those in need. Please post here or pm me with any questions, thoughts or suggestions.

Eric

MikeR 11-14-2012 05:13 AM

I should be there. Will give you a definite a little later today. Some of friends grew up in Lindenhurst and I'm sure they would love to help. The sooner we could get any specifics would help. Thanks for setting this up.

exhorns 11-14-2012 08:04 AM

Should be good for Saturday. Keep me posted. Matt

BBQchef33 11-14-2012 10:33 AM

where is it?

MikeR 11-14-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 2271257)
where is it?

According to Facebook logistics have not been worked out yet. We are all patiently waiting. Also, if anyone has my "Bear Claws" and a large Food Network knife in a hard black plastic sheath please let me know, these were used in Long Beach- Thanks.

BBQchef33 11-14-2012 10:53 AM

i have all that stuff.

The truck was packed to the gills, and it would be crazy to unpack and repack for friday. So i kept the 29.95/day rental and all the stuff is still loaded in the truck.

mr dirts bbq 11-14-2012 11:40 AM

i will only be available sunday from 10am on, but i have reefer van and pit

CMALANGA 11-14-2012 11:54 AM

Please no low bridges otherwise we may have to take the air conditioner off of Phil's trailer this time.

MikeR 11-14-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMALANGA (Post 2271358)
Please no low bridges otherwise we may have to take the air conditioner off of Phil's trailer this time.

It's almost winter, it's not like he'll be using it anytime soon.

NS Mike D 11-14-2012 12:02 PM

I am not sure I can help this weekend as my wife is laid up with a broken knee. My grill should be on the truck, with some spatulas, tongs, pails, cleaning pans etc. for use. I'll see if I can come down Sunday to help or at least help break down and take back my gear so to free up the truck.

timzcardz 11-14-2012 01:10 PM

I'm on vacation and getting back to LI on Friday, so I should be available on Saturday.

mad mike 11-14-2012 02:19 PM

let me know if you still need help i have a meadow creek cd 120 that can cook a good amount of food at one time, plus some others if needed. will be coming from maryland. sent you a pm

motoeric 11-14-2012 03:20 PM

I'm not home right now. I'll have a lot more details in a couple of hours.

This will be taking place in Lindenhurst at the grounds of the marina and the Wellwood Grill on Wellwood Ave.

We will be cooking the remainder of the food from Long Beach (that's kindly being stored by Main St. Meats) as well as Turkeys (definite) and hams (if we can get them).

I would also LOVE to have Thanksgiving related side dishes (mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce, stuffing) and autumnal soups (butternut squash?). Can anyone help out with any of that?

Lastly, I'd like see if we can get our hands on cookie or cupcake versions of traditional desserts (like pumpkin cupcakes or apple pie cookies) that would be fantastic.

Eric

speedrcer1 11-14-2012 05:24 PM

I have a Boy Scout troop itching to help with something.
Would there be a need for some scouts?

TheJackal 11-14-2012 05:25 PM

Anything still going on in Brick? My son's football team is playing them in the state playoffs Friday night. I was thinking I could get a bunch of the boys to help prep, serve, and clean on Saturday. I could also bring my Onyx and cook something. If nothing in Brick I can see if everyone is OK with heading to Lindenhurst. Its over twice as far for us though which is why we were hoping Brick was still up and running.