Visiting a rib cookoff

Missed-Em

Reaction score
Haven't been to a rib cookoff so when there was one locally decided to check it out. Doing some research the turn in was at 11am. No samples were allowed to be handed out. At 4pm you could purchase rib dinner from whichever team you wanted to, but w/o samples are you just to go w/ the judges decision on which teams product to order? Been to shrimp fests where you buy tickets, each ticket good for one sample, which seemed a good way to do it. What is the normal BBQ cookoff position on sampling?

Most sanctioned BBQ cookoffs, the sanctioned portion has no hand-outs whatsoever. For this reason many usually have unsanctioned portions. Of these the best are blind Peoples Choice where competitors will turn-in 10#+- of pulled pork and then the organizer sells sampling plates, the sampler votes for their favorite. Pretty much though in unsanctioned comps or areas most anything goes. I've seen competitors allowed to sell, etc. Honestly, most of your best competitors dont sell, they focus on the competition, so the Q you're purchasing is not nearly as good.

I don't mean to be dense, but w/o samples and interaction w/ the contestants why go if your not competing? I'd like to know what their doing, why and what the results taste like.

I did it before I starting competing. You can talk to team members and learn a wealth of info. You can look to see what type of smokers people are using and what they are fueling them with. I didn't know about the mm until a team explained it to me. You also can see how people set up their site so you know what you might need to bring. I would not even think about entering a contest without checking one out first.

Back