The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SAMS Club 2012??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121635)

Kit R 12-06-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ (Post 1871796)
Shopping cart drag races, who's in??

Why didn't we think of this in September?

Jorge 12-06-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 1871975)
Ouch!

I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!

Smoke'n Ice 12-06-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 1872080)
I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!

George,
First you have to get into the cart :tape:

Muzzlebrake 12-06-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 1871868)
Many teams would require a flatbed:wink: Just sayin:wink:

In Greensboro they called that the "truck series"

The contest I did last year wasn't the best organized event on my calender and the no water thing was a PIA but I it wasn't poorly run. I'm going to try and do it again this year.

There may be some conflicts and bumps along the way but I think the format is still very cool.

dmprantz 12-06-2011 07:53 PM

I was in Birmingham (Trussville) and I really didn't have a problem. Water was a slight pain, but the shopping carts made it much better. That and the fact that we keep a cooler of hot water on site, and the friendly RV next to us. I guess if we used a sink it would have hurt us more. The power wasn't on when we got there, and it was late, causing us an issue, but another RV owner let us feed off of him when we needed to. I honestly don't think that was the fault of KCBS or the organizer. The genie didn't work. Does any one know differently? The organizer was very understanding and helpful and had at least two contingencies for it in place. I enjoyed the setup, and my biggest problem was that check-in was much longer than it should have been, but that's par for the course. To me, comps fall into three categories: The ones that don't really care about the cook teams and do things to screw them up with disregard, the ones that bend over backwards to help cook teams, and all the rest. Sam's Club Birmingham seemed to be right in the middle to me. No complaints, and if there's one close enough, I'll go again.

dmp

Dan - 3eyzbbq 12-07-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit R (Post 1872068)
Love those shopping carts. Nice touch in Laurel. We're in for 2012, too. And you'll be happy to know Dan that I will hook you up with Wicked Good lump again. For a price, of course. And after I allocate some for my own Backwoods! :-P

Nah, I got you this time thanks to the BBQ Equipment store :thumb:

lcbateman3 12-07-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit R (Post 1872072)
Don't forget the rain in Laurel. That sucked as well. But not as much as the outcome for us. :cry:

Don't remind me.....:sick:

RangerJ 12-07-2011 05:07 PM

I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.

Smokedelic 12-07-2011 10:11 PM

We'll be in for '12, wherever we can get in. Bentonville is sweet in October.:becky:

DawgPhan 12-08-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJ (Post 1873302)
I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.

:roll:

Bigmista 12-08-2011 10:12 AM

We had cold wind and rain in Gilbert, AZ and we still had a good time. A bunch of us rented U-Haul box trucks from across the street and setup our prep stations in the back. (Thanks Harry Soo for the idea!) It was a lot warmer and dryer for those of who can't afford RV's.

JD McGee 12-08-2011 10:41 AM

We're tossing the idea of doing the Sam's Club events this year...it depends on where the local and regionals will be...

Jeff_in_KC 12-08-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire (Post 1871359)
There is no way this 'series' would be happening again if it weren't for the slim possibility of taking home some decent money after the first round.

The venues absolutely suck, at least in the South. On a blacktop parking lot in July and August, no running water, generator power only and as far as I know, the gensets FAILED within 3 hours at both Birmingham and Marietta.

No thanks to 2012.

The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.

DawgPhan 12-09-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC (Post 1874646)
The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys in the midwest put up with that stuff. Crappy power, no water and sub $10k payouts? no thanks.

In georgia I can have my pick of $10k+ contests all with water and power at your site.

sitnfat 12-10-2011 12:33 PM

Misread post :icon_blush: