The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Great American Barbecue Festival, May 20-21, 2011 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105610)

HarleyEarl 05-02-2011 03:23 AM

Great American Barbecue Festival, May 20-21, 2011

Now that we are into May and I heard quite a few teams are not returning, just wanted to know who all will be here this year?

Funny Farm BBQ will be making a return appearance. Hope to see a few of the Brethren out there.

trueque 05-02-2011 08:03 AM

TrueQue is heading out to this one for our first time. Hoping for a great competition!

smknwhlswife 05-02-2011 08:47 AM

I talked to Tracy this weekend and she said she had 79 teams signed up so far.

Sledneck 05-02-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyEarl (Post 1627790)
Now that we are into May and I heard quite a few teams are not returning, just wanted to know who all will be here this year?

Funny Farm BBQ will be making a return appearance. Hope to see a few of the Brethren out there.

Only competed there once and really enjoyed it. WHy are teams not returning?

HarleyEarl 05-02-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 1627864)
Only competed there once and really enjoyed it. WHy are teams not returning?

There's another thread on the why's, but comments I've read & heard:
-No invitational
-No World Brisket open
-Vegas is the same weekend with a hugh pot - a lot of the big boys are going to be heading out west
-High cost
-Two lots can't leave til 11:00 Saturday
-One lot can't get in until 5:00 Friday
-and just general complaints about how the contest was run in the past.

I personally have not experienced any problems with Tracy or the rest of the staff, in fact I consider her a friend. I like the new location which is on level ground. We are looking forward to it and can't wait. Just need to get my sauce entry in to Terri by the deadline.

Kim, thanks for the update on the number of teams, I'm glad to see so many are going. It will fall well short of the almost 200 teams they were known for in the past. Yet one more contest with more than 70 teams this year - that will make 5 of 6 when we step foot at the GAB.

smknwhlswife 05-02-2011 12:17 PM

She also said that they are no longer using the "load-in after 5pm' lot. She has room for 120-130 teams in the other lots.

We will be at the Sam's Club Challenge in Conroe TX, otherwise we would be there.

Marc is right that it is in a great location. Overland Park, KS is a very busy place and I'm sure the public attendance will be great (if the weather is good). There are many restaurants, stores & hotels within a mile of the venue. It is also right across the street from the Sprint Campus, so if you will have Sprint Phone Service you have GREAT signal. :wink:

Balls Casten 05-02-2011 04:38 PM

We're in.

mobow 05-02-2011 04:38 PM

wife and I are judging this one

Nomanerz 05-02-2011 05:29 PM

Marc, We'll see you and all the other Brethren there!

bover 05-03-2011 09:58 AM

I'll be there judging and hanging out at the awards ceremony. Really looking forward to it!

HarleyEarl 05-03-2011 10:47 PM

I just talked with Tracy. She said the final site layout will be completed soon - they are meeting with the Fire and police dept's. to okay the electrical grid layout. She didn't want to send out the assignments and have to change things around at the last minute.

I do have to say, after talking with her, I am really stoked about this contest!

I'll be pulling in Thursday afternoon and staying throughout. If any teams are setting up that early, let me know, we can try to get together for dinner - plenty great places to pick from.

HarleyEarl 05-03-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bover (Post 1629088)
I'll be there judging and hanging out at the awards ceremony. Really looking forward to it!

Hunt us down after the judging, I'll have a few cold one's ready (or already downed) and after the awards we can sit around and complain about the judges :-P (just kidding). Since the awards aren't until 7:00 there will be a lot of time for mingling.

We ought to do a Brethren Super Shot before the awards for good luck for all of the contestants and thank for the Brethren judges for putting up with us:thumb:

matthew burt 05-03-2011 11:54 PM

We are making the trip down for it as well!

bover 05-04-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyEarl (Post 1629835)
Hunt us down after the judging, I'll have a few cold one's ready (or already downed) and after the awards we can sit around and complain about the judges :-P (just kidding). Since the awards aren't until 7:00 there will be a lot of time for mingling.

We ought to do a Brethren Super Shot before the awards for good luck for all of the contestants and thank for the Brethren judges for putting up with us:thumb:

You got it!

kcmike 05-16-2011 03:21 PM

FYI... I'll be at the GAB this Friday giving out free rub samples. So, if you're interested, PM me your team name and location and I'll stop by and hand-deliver samples of our stuff...

Mike Trump
Oakridge BBQ