The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rib Bone Cleaver (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157619)

samfsu 04-01-2013 08:23 AM

Rib Bone Cleaver

What do you all use to hack through meat rib bones? i have a smaller dog and need to cut them down to 3-4" pieces. I used my cleaver last night but took out a nice chunk of the cleaver. Maybe the knife was crap but I am curious what any of you use. Thanks for the help.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-01-2013 09:02 AM

I thought rib bones can splinter and should not be given to dogs?

samfsu 04-01-2013 09:17 AM

I have always given dogs beef rib bones. Never chicken. Chicken splinters.

landarc 04-01-2013 09:24 AM

I don't like doing it. But, Chinese butchers us cleavers with a short bevel for cutting bone. The sharper cleavers chip, but, you know that. And it takes a solid whack.

dadsr4 04-01-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2431372)
I thought rib bones can splinter and should not be given to dogs?

To me, it comes down to the fact that abdominal surgery is expensive, Nylabones are not. I know, people get away with giving cooked bones to dogs everyday. For a special treat, I give our dogs the big raw knuckle bones they sell for soup. Even those, I monitor their chewing. I listen for a splintering "crack" sound, check, and find splinters. By -by bone. In my experience, the smaller the breed, the lower the survival rate from bone splinter ingestion. Even gnawed- up bone can cause impaction in the intestine. Giving a dog an enema or a suppository is not my idea of fun.

samfsu 04-01-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsr4 (Post 2431412)
To me, it comes down to the fact that abdominal surgery is expensive, Nylabones are not. I know, people get away with giving cooked bones to dogs everyday. For a special treat, I give our dogs the big raw knuckle bones they sell for soup. Even those, I monitor their chewing. I listen for a splintering "crack" sound, check, and find splinters. By -by bone. In my experience, the smaller the breed, the lower the survival rate from bone splinter ingestion. Even gnawed- up bone can cause impaction in the intestine. Giving a dog an enema or a suppository is not my idea of fun.

Good insight. No more bones for Ruby. Rather have a healthy pup than....

Southstar Jeff 04-01-2013 10:09 AM

Give her bones, they are great for her, especially keeping her teeth clean. Just give them to her raw.