The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sausage (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9271)

jminion 09-03-2004 09:44 AM

Sausage

It is now getting into the time of the year that I will start making sausage again. Anyone out there want to share recipes and techniques?

Bill-Chicago 09-03-2004 10:59 AM

Jim
I'm sure you'll get some great hits on this topic.

I stumbled on this last week, and thought I'd post it.

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...making+sausage

Trout_man22 09-03-2004 11:20 AM

Jim,

Love to, more then that let's do a "don't do this because...." I have made so many damn mistakes I would be down right mean not to share them,( except Bill can't read them because he can shop at Bobecks or what ever their name is and get fresh stuff and they pay him to eat it.:wink: ) Now if I could just remimber where I put the file of my blunders. I will share all of my recipes if any one wants them.

Neil 09-03-2004 11:56 AM

Ive always wanted to make my own hot Italian sausage. Any recipies would be greatly appreciated.

Bellybro 09-03-2004 11:59 AM

I would love to try some sausage making!

Any tips would be great and do's and don'ts

Jorge 09-03-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
Ive always wanted to make my own hot Italian sausage. Any recipies would be greatly appreciated.

Have one that I'll post this weekend, after I dig it out. Never stuffed it into a casing since I use it in lasagna, spaghettie sauce, and on pizza, but it should work fine.

Neil 09-03-2004 12:53 PM

Thanks Jorqe, I'll be looking forward to trying it out.

midnight 09-03-2004 01:08 PM

Here is a don't: Don't make seafood sausage!!!

I tried it one time and I managed to rupture the casings on Every sausage when I was poaching them to firm them up. Stink Mod.

Took days to get that smell out of my house, and all I ended up with was stinky "fish soup".

Anyone want the recipe I would love to send it to you :twisted:

jminion 09-03-2004 02:40 PM

I have a large number recipes I will start posting them this weekend along with techniques.
We can go over equipment if you like also.

Jorge 09-03-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminion
I have a large number recipes I will start posting them this weekend along with techniques.
We can go over equipment if you like also.

Hard to top BigWheel's hot link recipe you already contributed. Used that for several variations in the past. It's good stuff. Can't wait to see what you add this weekend.

racer_81 09-03-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnight

I tried it one time and I managed to rupture the casings on Every sausage when I was poaching them to firm them up. Stink Mod.

Took days to get that smell out of my house, and all I ended up with was stinky "fish soup".

Remove Shells First Mod

wait a second - you got seafood in South Dakota?

:shock:

midnight 09-03-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_81
Quote:

Remove Shells First Mod

wait a second - you got seafood in South Dakota?

:shock:

Sure! Havn't you ever heard of Rocky Mountain Oysters?

List of all the Seafood available in SD:
1. Fish

Jorge 09-04-2004 10:06 AM

Here ya go Neil.

Italian Sausage

2 lbs. lean pork coarse grind (I use a loin, but if you like more fat a butt might be the choice)
1 Tbs fennel seed
1 Tbs dried parsley
2-3 bay leaves
3 cloaves pressed garlic
2 tsp salt
1 Tbs + 1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
4 Tbs water

I put all the dry spices in a spice grinder and grind until I have a very fine powder. Mix the spices with the meat and garlic, add water and mix until everything is nice and evenly distributed.

For a little more kick I'll add a little extra red pepper, or maybe a little cayenne. I usually take a little of any sausage I'm doing and cook it up in a pan to make sure I have the seasoning right before stuffing. Let us know how it works for you and any improvements you come up with.

2Fat 09-04-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

:twisted:

here is another Don't---or maybe do--anyway when ya got the urge to try make a chicen sausage(roasted pepper/tequila is good) my advice would be to skip buying those cheap chicken quarters at local market and get hold of boneless(skinless) thighs--saves ALOT of work and the cost isn't uch more--imo of course

jminion 09-04-2004 04:39 PM

I am posting a Basic meat Mix and Seasonings Mixes in the recipe section. I will add other recipes (both pork and game)
I'm posting here also the boys can clean up any way they want.

Basic Ground Meat Mix
5 pound pork butt (do not trim)

or
5 pounds lean Venison or Elk
1 pound pork back fat
1 to 4 Tbsp salt

grind with large plate mix well with seasoning and regrind with smaller plate. If meat is semi-frozen you get best results (stop smearing, happens when the fat is too warm).

Seasoning For Basic Meat Mix

Salami Seasoning
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Fine ground Pepper
1 tsp Ground Cloves
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Tender Quick
¾ cup Dry Milk (mix into thin paste)

Sausage seasoning
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 ½ tsp ground Chili powder
1 ½ tsp ground Celery Seed
1 tsp Tender Quick
¾ cup Dry milk (mix into thin paste)

Weiner Seasoning
1 ½ tsp ground White Pepper
1 ¼ tsp ground Coriander
1 ½ tsp Mustard Powder
1 tsp Tender Quick

Pepperoni Seasoning
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp ground Cumin
1 1/3 tsp Leaf Oregano
1 tsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Cracked Pepper
2 Tbsp Fine ground pepper
3 Tbsp Chili powder
1 tsp whole Anise Seed
1 tsp Tender Quick
¾ cup Dry Milk (mix into thin paste)

Smoked method: If you want to hang sausage decide what size casings you want to use and stuff. Smoke at 160 to 180 pit temp for 8 hours. You can also make into loafs and smoke at the same pit temps and times. The sausage needs to be taken to 160 to 165º internal. Cool and refrigerate. If you have a Food saver then package and freeze.