Wood of choice for beef ribs

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I plan on smoking a couple of slabs of beef ribs about 5 bones per slab, on Sunday. I've done them many times before and have always used a combo of apple and cherry wood to smoke them. I recently scored a couple logs of seasoned red oak and I know that oak is the go to wood for beef in Texas. I was wondering what the Brethren typically use for smoke when cooking up some beef, especially ribs.

Oak is my go to wood for beef. I have some post oak which I got in Luling, Texas which is outstanding. Red oak will be very good too.

I have been experimenting with different woods for beef as applewood was too subtle of a smoke for it. Cherry was pretty good. But so far my favorite right now for beef is pecan. I have some red oak, maple, and black walnut to still try on beef.

Love Pecan with beef. Acquired a taste for it when learning some techniques from a North Texas pitmaster.

I don't think there is a bad choice but hickory or oak is a for sure winner.

I cooked up beef ribs recently. Used pecan chunks (Academy has 'em). They were awesome!

Oak is always my go to wood. Get tons of it readily available here. I do have a half a cord of some seasoned apple which I think I will be using for the basis of my cooks the weekend

My go to wood is what I have on hand Red Oak I say your are in good hands.

oak, pecan, or hickory would be your staples i think. a bit of added apple or cherry depending on your tastes.

I use red oak and apple for beef and most of my smokes. I don't use cherry anymore.

Mesquite and beef are a couple, nothing better than beef smoked with mesquite.

I used to only cook with oak, which is great with beef, now I use hickory or (most often) cherry, since I have plenty of it.

Back