WSM Question for Competition

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Question for those who compete using WSM's. I am doing my first single-entry event this year, with the intent to do a full comp next season, or even later this summer. I am in the process of procuring equipment, and I am getting a 2@" WSM, and was wondering if adding an 18" would be enough for me to compete with. Just wondering what people thought.

any feedback even on what you have experienced with the WSM's in competition would be greatly appreciated as well.

thanks everyone!!

You can certainly compete with 2 wsm's. I cooked a KCBS comp on 1 18"wsm. 2 butts on top and a brisket on bottom. Got 'em done by 5am and into a cambro. Then ribs on top til wrapped and then on the bottom while chicken cooked on top til turn in. Came home with a trophy, a ribbon and 2 checks worth 4 times what I paid for the cooker. Don't do much better than that now on my Lang!

We use 2 18's and 2 22's for competition...one bullet for each meat...but that's because we use different smokewood and cooking temps for each meat. You can easily do 4 meats on two bullets. :thumb: Good luck! :razz:

We used 1 22 and 1 18 last year for 5 comps. Didn't have any problems. This year we added another 22.

We use 2 22" for a full KCBS comp.

It gets a little tricky with the big meats but, I cook a little hotter than most might in the WSM world.

Thanks everyone... I had been curious because in my local area, I once in a while see a WSM on Craigs List, but I have only seen the 18" ones there, so I am thinking if I can get a good deal via craigs list, then it might be better than buying a new one... depending on condition and price. T

We currently use three 22 inch and a kettle. When I switched from my offset stick burner, I did a comp on one 22 WSM! Took some creative timing but got third in ribs! Just keep the wind off them and they rock! Very easy on the fuel too.

You can certainly do a contest on a single 22" bullet, and having an extra would give you a lot more flexibility with your timing. A 18.5" one for your second cooker should allow you plenty of space for everything. Good luck--bullets ROCK!

I'll chime in as well, I have competed in FBA & KCBS with one 22" WSM, but I did buy an 18" for this year.

I use two 22's, a 18 and kettle. Would like to add one more 18.5 in the near future, but ended up having to move first.

Know of a couple of people who do everyone thing on one 22 and are very successful.

We use an 18" and a UDS for everything. (We bring a kettle for finishing chicken if it needs it, but thats optional - just to tweak a mediocre appearance.)

I want a 23, but first I need to sell the UDS and build a new one.

2-22's, 2-18s or substitute an 18 kettle, depending upon which method I plan to cook chicken. Kind of a mood thing.

I used two 22" and an 18" all last year. Later in the season I added an additional 18" my hardware store gave me, but I rarely needed it. Brisket on the 22", pork on the 18", ribs on the other 22" and chicken on the 18" after the pork finished. I had them all running on a Guru Cyber Q and a Digi Q and it worked really great. The only problem I had was temp control toward season's end when we had a few windy, rainy days. I pulled the trigger on a Backwoods Extended party for pork and brisket for 2012, but I'm still keeping the WSMs in the mix because they're absolute money makers.

Back