Can you inject a butt mid-cook?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Late last night I put a couple of butts on my pellet cooker to cook overnight for a lunchtime family party today. Everyone was asleep as I pulled my stuff together to inject, rub and get them on the cooker.

The problem I encountered was that my meat injection syringe was missing. I thought about waking up my wife to ask her if she had seen it . . . but that wasn't a serious consideration.

Got them rubbed and on the cooker. Now (the next morning) everyone is awake and we're looking through the kitchen for the injector.

If we find it, is it too late to mix up some Oakridge Game Changer injection and shoot up the butts? I could heat the liquid up to 175 or so, so it doesn't bring down the meat temp. But not sure how that would work...

Any relevant experience appreciated.

Thanks. Still can't find all of the pieces of the syringe (I have school-aged kids, so sometimes things that I can't imagine would be interesting to them go missing because one of them decided that thing would make the perfect tool to enable one of their plots).

At this point I think I may wait and add a little dry Game Changer along with some rub to the juices and fat (along with a little Coke) that is collecting in the bottom of the foil pans I put the butts in this morning. Then I can add some of that liquid to the meat after I pull it.

Back