The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Putting Green (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42500)

SmokeMeTender 05-14-2008 01:06 PM

Putting Green

As a certified judge, some of the turn-in boxes look wonderful. Do you place a layer of shredded lettuce below the parsley or just a layer of parsley to form the putting green? Just wondering how everyone makes a wonderful turn-in boxes. :-P

Squeeze 05-14-2008 01:19 PM

Nope

No Shredded Lettuce, but a ton of parsley packed tightly....

matthew burt 05-14-2008 01:28 PM

I use shredded lerruce as a bed and then stick the parsly legs in the lettuce.

Just Pulin' Pork 05-14-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew burt (Post 636753)

Correct me if I am wrong. You can use shredded green leaf correct as a bed right?

matthew burt 05-14-2008 03:44 PM

yes, you can also use all shredded green leaf lettuce if you choose

Just Pulin' Pork 05-14-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew burt (Post 636753)

I may have to try that

The Pickled Pig 05-14-2008 03:51 PM

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforum...rsleybed/4.jpg

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforum...rsleybed/5.jpg

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforum...rsleybed/6.jpg

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforum...rsleybed/8.jpg

Just Pulin' Pork 05-14-2008 04:02 PM

Paul first off thanks for posting that. Is that green leaf on the bottom?

SmokeMeTender 05-14-2008 04:15 PM

Now I see how you guys make things look perfect. Do you use the shredded iceberg lettuce that is already shredded (you buy at the store)? This looks like it is very time consuming and a lot of work - we are blessed as judges. :lol:

Squeeze 05-14-2008 04:22 PM

That looks great, thanks for posting.

Solidkick 05-14-2008 04:23 PM

I'd say it looks fresh cut.....

spicewine 05-14-2008 04:47 PM

Thats great except for the fact that as a certified judge you are not supposed to be judging the garnish.

The Pickled Pig 05-14-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork (Post 636871)
Paul first off thanks for posting that. Is that green leaf on the bottom?

Yes, it is green leaf lettuce.

The Pickled Pig 05-14-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvn4fun (Post 636881)
This looks like it is very time consuming and a lot of work - we are blessed as judges. :lol:

I'm slow and don't make a lot of them. It's wouldn't be unusual for me to spend 60+ minutes making a single box.

Ford 05-14-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvn4fun (Post 636881)
Now I see how you guys make things look perfect. Do you use the shredded iceberg lettuce that is already shredded (you buy at the store)? This looks like it is very time consuming and a lot of work - we are blessed as judges. :lol:

I'm getting better. If the parsley is good quality I can do 4 boxes in under 2 hours. One contest it was over 3 hours. So while others party Friday night I'm doing boxes. But it does make a nice box.

I tear up about 1 large leaf of green lettuce for the bottom of each box.

Countryhb 05-14-2008 06:38 PM

TPP, thanks for that info and especially the pictures! Gotta be one of the most useful bits of info I've found here in a while!

PatioDaddio 05-15-2008 02:20 PM

First, thanks a bunch for the information.

How do you keep the parsley fresh and unwilted until turn-ins start? I suppose laying a couple damp paper towels on top would help, but is there a specific method?

Thanks again,
John

The Pickled Pig 05-15-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 637524)
First, thanks a bunch for the information.

How do you keep the parsley fresh and unwilted until turn-ins start? I suppose laying a couple damp paper towels on top would help, but is there a specific method?

Thanks again,
John

If you make the boxes the morning of, place the boxes in a cooler until turn-in. If made the night before, lay a damp paper towel on top of the parsley and then place in a cooler.

The box I pictured lasted for 6 days in my fridge without any wilting using a damp paper towel.

ZBQ 05-15-2008 07:58 PM

Priceless knowlege there Paul.:-D

Major thanks!:eusa_clap

Mods, I'm thinking this should be put in the Road Map section.

Smokin' Joe 05-15-2008 11:24 PM

Great stuff...thanks for sharing :)

Neal 05-16-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 637524)

We have put parsley boxes together as early 9 or 10pm the night before turn-in. Unless you have really bad parsley, it won't noticably wilt.

Just to put it in perspective...A buddy of ours gets his parsley direct from a wholesaler (not the grocery store). He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest and put the rest in his fridge. He used the parsley from the same case 2 weeks later and said that it actually looked better the second time around. Now I think he said he picks up his cases a week early and let's them sit in the fridge. Just think how long it has been sitting in the cooler at the grocery store before it comes out to the front of the store.

So letting it sit in a cool box over night isn't going to hurt much.

KC_Bobby 05-17-2008 10:26 PM

Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!

matthew burt 05-17-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 639140)
Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!

way to go on your reserve this weekend, I see Rob (munchin hogs) finally got that grand for the year too.

PatioDaddio 05-17-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Woo hoo! That is very impressive, my friend. Nice work.

John

Solidkick 05-18-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Congrats! I'm surprised you even got a 7.....I know there are those that are not in favor of these types of presentations, and I myself wonder if the greenery is necessary, it should be a meat contest.
Now, with that said......in 2 contests this year, and 2 GCs, we have not received a presentation score below an 8, with an average of four 9's and two 8's per catagory. Part of those appearance scores is the product itself, I understand that, but the greenery sure isn't hurting the scores at all......

Rolling Smoke 05-18-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBQ (Post 637814)
Priceless knowlege there Paul.:-D

Major thanks!:eusa_clap

Mods, I'm thinking this should be put in the Road Map section.

Are you planning to use this idea somewhere? Like Kettering maybe? Still haven't received your entry and don't want to see you miss this big show :wink:

CajunSmoker 05-18-2008 02:01 PM

I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8:-D

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6...luffkl7.th.jpg

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.

swamprb 05-19-2008 10:44 AM

Last season I had judged and noticed a couple boxes that had beds of Parsley and overly sauced thighs and the greenery stuck so much that it had to wiped off with napkin-I brought it to the attention of the table captain and was told not to judge it down.

But I too tried the "putting green" this weekend on my Chicken and got 165 and a Second Place prize, I'd like to think the judges that gave me a 6 & 7 for Appearance knew what they were looking at because they did score it high for T & T.

I snipped up 6 or 7 bunches of Parsley the day before and did a practice box so the next day it went real smooth.

Thanks for the tutorial Paul!

T.K. 12-16-2009 08:02 PM

I'm glad the Florida Barbeque Association doesn't allow garnish. It's saves time & money. But I need to practice since my first KCBS comp is coming up next month.

Chipper 12-17-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 639504)
I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8:-D

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6...luffkl7.th.jpg

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.

Best looking box I didn't see.

NorthwestBBQ 12-17-2009 06:28 PM

Yep, Brian is real good at making his boxes now...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/...g/DSC_0073.jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/...Q/DSC_0072.jpg

paulpoli 07-27-2010 10:36 PM

Do you know approximately how much parsley you need per box? Just need help estimating

EDIT: I somehow missed the 2nd page and saw a comment that "He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest" so I guess I figured out my answer

roksmith 07-28-2010 06:13 AM

I usually figure on 2 bunches per box.. than pick up a few extra. But it depends on how fresh the bunches look.

Rich Parker 07-28-2010 07:13 AM

I usually get 6 - 8 bunches depending on the quality with 2 heads of green leaf lettuce.

ammoore 07-28-2010 07:24 AM

I don't think anywill will argue the point that parsley boxes do look wonderful. And like most I can attest that my average appearance scores went up once I started doing them. However if I could give two pieces of advice for those just converting.....
1. Depending on how you place your entry on the bed of parsley, the middle may not even be visible (this is the case with my ribs, brisket and pork) So I don't kill myself making the whole box look perfect for those entries, I just focus on the edges.

2. Boxes are usually the last thing I do prior to getting a little sleep. So, I'm already tired and in a hurry to be finished with doing them. Have an extra head of parsley for touchups in the morning. You may find yourself wondering what you were thinking when you thought the box was good enough the night before.

RobKC 07-28-2010 08:01 AM

^^^good advice^^^

Since we put a refrigerator in our comp trailer, we've started doing boxes on Friday. They look better than when we would rush through them on Saturday. It gives us plenty of time to relax a little before things start getting hectic.

The Pickled Pig 07-28-2010 09:00 AM

Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.

Rookie'48 07-28-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 1350773)
Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.

Yeah Paul, I was amazed at the way you can "build" a box in less than 30 seconds :thumb:.

sssSmoking 07-28-2010 10:30 AM

Clamshell

Quote:

Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell:confused:? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks:-P Don

Jorge 07-28-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sssSmoking (Post 1350935)
Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell:confused:? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks:-P Don

Sam's usually has some. You just can't always count on getting the same size and shape when the contest Rep gives you your boxes. 9x9 is pretty standard, but there are exceptions to that rule.

sssSmoking 07-28-2010 10:43 AM

Transfering

Quote:

Is there a trick in transfer the greens into the contest box. Looks like that would be very tricky.

The Pickled Pig 07-28-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sssSmoking (Post 1350966)
Is there a trick in transfer the greens into the contest box. Looks like that would be very tricky.

Put a liner of parchment paper in your box, leaving excess in the front and back. Cut the corners of your parchment liner so it lies flat in the box. Build your putting green. Place a damp paper towel over the putting green and secure for travel with a damper made from cutting down a clamshell top or bottom. When ready to transfer, remove the damper and paper towel and grab the parchment liner by the corners. Lift out of your box and place into the contest box. Use one hand/arm to hold the parsley in place while you slowly pull the parchment liner out. The whole transfer process takes less than a minute.

Now, who can explain to me why the parchment paper always has pink streaks on it when you pull it out?

sssSmoking 07-28-2010 11:21 AM

Outstanding

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 1351010)
Put a liner of parchment paper in your box, leaving excess in the front and back. Cut the corners of your parchment liner so it lies flat in the box. Build your putting green. Place a damp paper towel over the putting green and secure for travel with a damper made from cutting down a clamshell top or bottom. When ready to transfer, remove the damper and paper towel and grab the parchment liner by the corners. Lift out of your box and place into the contest box. Use one hand/arm to hold the parsley in place while you slowly pull the parchment liner out. The whole transfer process takes less than a minute.

Now, who can explain to me why the parchment paper always has pink streaks on it when you pull it out?

Wooooo, now that is incredible. :clap2: U tha man PAUL:clap2:

Tiki Wolf 07-28-2010 11:23 AM

How about placing crumpled paper towels on top of the parsely to make a snug fit and hold the parsley in place, close the box, invert it, remove the parchment from the bottom, close again, turn back over, then remove the paper towels? Has anyone tried that method yet?

tmcmaster 10-07-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 1351010)

Chlorophyll reacting with the silicone on the parchment.:bow: