The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145795)

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 10:04 AM

What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

Reading up on poultry led to the following article: Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer (And It Is Dangerous)

I was just trying to decide between the following two accessories:

But now I am not so sure any more, and may prefer spatchcocking. On the other hand isn't Thanksgiving about a whole turkey? Or can you rearrange a spatchcocked bird to represent a whole bird?

So what is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

gtr 10-11-2012 10:07 AM

I like spatchcocking and rotisserie cooking poultry. I've only ever done turkey just whole as a roast, but not for any particular reason other than that's just the way I've always done it. I'd like to try other methods for turkey, but frankly I haven't given it much thought.

jestridge 10-11-2012 10:08 AM

Same above

chad 10-11-2012 10:15 AM

I like beer can chicken, a lot. I also cook a lot of chicken parts.
How I cook a bird depends a lot on the context.
A spatchcocked chicken or turkey should be cut up in the kitchen. It would make a pretty weird table presentation...but maybe that's the reaction you need for a party!!
It's all good.
YMMV!

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 10:28 AM

I don't have a rotisserie for my WSM, according to the mentioned article I don't trust a real beer can, and I have not ordered any of the two shown accessories, so my first bird this weekend will be spatchcocked.

I see no need to present a chicken in one piece, IMHO that's something for goose, duck or turkey (especially when having guests).

As it looks we'll have no guests for Thanksgiving, only family, so I am not sure what to do about the planned Thanksgiving Turkey (which will be our first one, Thanksgiving is not common here).

Ijustwantedtolookatpics 10-11-2012 10:51 AM

I'm a spatchcock person all the way.
My family raves about beer can chicken and ask me to make it often, but honestly I don't really taste much of a difference. I'd rather use it in a brine if I want beer flavor. Plus the little gizmo I use for beer can style is a pain to clean.

thirtydaZe 10-11-2012 10:52 AM

For simplicity purposes i generally go horizontal, i do however crack a beer, drink half, and jam the can in there.

If you put it in drinking hole faced up, and crease the can, it works really well.

I do like spatching, but i get lazy about it.

grantw 10-11-2012 10:59 AM

If you just butterfly it open by removing the backbone to keep it all looking good for presentation, if you have any cheapie bacon around to wrap the wings and thighs in for the first 30 of 45 to keep them from cooking before the rest of it

fingerlickin' 10-11-2012 01:25 PM

Cocked and locked baby, and I'm never going back to a whole bird if it's chicken or turkey.

Just BS 10-11-2012 01:34 PM

I like to use my 22" Weber Kettle for the birds, since it's really about cooking hot & fast.

For chicken, I get a pile of coals going, then dived into two and push to the sides, place a pan down for the drippings and toss some wood chips down for smoke. Then I set two birds in the middle and cover for an hour. Perfect every time!

For a turkey, I get eight pounds of charcoal white hot and spread evenly across the bottom. Right before cooking I toss another two pounds down with a couple of handfuls of wood chips. Then place a 12-14 pound bird (that's about as big as you can go and still get the lid on the Weber) in a foil pan lined w/onions, carrots & celery. Cook for an hour uncovered to get brown and smoked. The cover w/foil and continue cooking until done. Allow to rest before carving, etc., etc.... The drippings in the pan make excellent gravy!

Lastly, I've never brined my birds before, but the Brethren here have convinced me to give it a try. :razz:

N8man 10-11-2012 07:02 PM

I like 'em whole on the can holder
without the can....gets smokey inside and out....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...x_cooking7.jpg

and makes for a special presentation....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w..._chickens9.jpg

cholloway 10-11-2012 07:22 PM

Spatchcocked for me. After brining, of course.

Pitmaster T 10-11-2012 09:22 PM

I voted for spatchcock since the ultimate way is not listed... which is... suspended, horizontally, but with breast down about 4 inches from the grate, indirectly.

el_matt 10-11-2012 11:00 PM

I either spatch, or I grill. I've never used one of the turkey cannons, but someone here(I'm thinking Wampus for some reason)used one with great results.

Matt

Igotgas 10-11-2012 11:01 PM

Spatchcock here too. It has been the family's favorite since the first time I tried it. I am going to try a turkey the same way soon.