The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Setup / Teardown time (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157449)

MikeJ65 03-30-2013 12:02 PM

Setup / Teardown time

I work out of a 6 x 10 cargo trailer and am looking to minimize my setup and cleanup times. I am pretty well organized on the small items like rubs, thermos, knives, etc., but it seems like we make about 70 trips up and down the ramp for the bigger items like popups, extension cords, chairs, and tables.

I'm thinking about building a cart or two for these items, does anyone have some ideas they could share or other ideas to minimize the non-cooking work involved in a contest?

Cast Iron Chef 03-30-2013 12:44 PM

I use a 5x8 toy hauler as well. A lot of comps are on grass or gravel. Carts can be very difficult to use. I bring a two wheel dolly which helps minimize some trips. I also have about 5 plastic tubs where I keep electrical in one, cooking equipment in another and so on. This helps me find things quicker and also makes for less trips. I figure I wont really have an easier setup until I can afford an RV. Having a 18 year old son makes my life easier when he can go.

buttburnersbbq 03-30-2013 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Below is a rolling work bench I use. We installed a sink in he middle . You have a lot of drawers to carry all your needs. It is easy to roll. I found his at SAMs club for $400.00 . I was tired of having so many bins and set up. Now jus roll of trailer and ready to go.

Attachment 77751

bwsy2k 03-30-2013 01:23 PM

That is a really nice work bench, not sure if I can talk the wife into the cost.

Just Smokin' Around 03-30-2013 09:53 PM

Bin's can work well for fewer trips and easier storage. I use one set of plastic drawers - not quite the size of the one pictured. Put everything in the drawers, pack it away and your done. Home Depot has a decent one for about $60. You can put wheels on it. You can get cheaper ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...09a87d_300.jpg

If you're making 70 trips to put stuff away, you got too much stuff. We are always looking to take less. Look at what you're unpacking and packing back up at the end, but, not really using. Also, put things away as you go along, like put lights and sleeping gear away in the morning. One less thing to do after turn ins.

Mustanger 03-30-2013 09:56 PM

Hey buttburnersbbq ,

That is an absolutely fabulous work bench.

The price is very reasonable!

Ken
The Mustanger
Parkville, MO 64152

Slamdunkpro 03-30-2013 10:47 PM

Pack less. After 2 years I'm carrying about half the stuff I started with.

MikeJ65 03-31-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Smokin' Around (Post 2429598)
If you're making 70 trips to put stuff away, you got too much stuff. We are always looking to take less. Look at what you're unpacking and packing back up at the end, but, not really using. Also, put things away as you go along, like put lights and sleeping gear away in the morning. One less thing to do after turn ins.

Well, it's probably not 70 trips, but I just have too many separate items. I think I'm going to make a cart for each end of my work table. One end will have a rack for foil, plastic wrap, butcher paper, gloves, and maybe hold my cambro. The other end might be for coolers, popups, and electrical. Each will have a rack plus a cabinet or drawer unit. My goal is to just roll two pits and two carts out of the trailer and be done unloading.

Most of what I take and don't use is backup stuff like my long extension cord, generator, inverter, and so on.

Rich Parker 03-31-2013 08:10 AM

When I competed with a 6 x 12, I had it setup so only the cooking was done outside which meant you only have to unload the cookers.

mad mike 03-31-2013 12:56 PM

reels help out alot, hose reels, cord reels
5 compartment bins that can sit on top of your table from walmart hold alot
do you have room in trailer to build a prep counter, I have in mine and its great, being inside keeps dust and other things out of your prep.

Ford 03-31-2013 01:20 PM

I got a 4 foot stainless table on heels at SAMs for less than $100. It has a shelf so I bought some 1/4 ply and boxed in 3 sides. Bought some plastic drawers (7) and have most everything I use. One for presentation, rubs, injection supplies, wrapping, tools, gloves and a misc. have room for my foil box as well. Got a knife box ( craftsman tool box ) that can go on table to roll out. I can do pretty much everything contest oriented on the table. Still need sinks but simple rolling table works there. Can make of wood with cut outs for sinks.

CBQ 03-31-2013 09:10 PM

Wheels!

1 Attachment(s)
Put everything on wheels, and just roll it in. The bins are resin, bolted to wire shelving that we equipped with pneumatic casters. Judging by the fly swatter, this was taken at New Paltz. :becky:

Code3BBQ 03-31-2013 10:16 PM

That's a great setup. Where did you get those Resin drawers?

MarleyMan 04-01-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 2430977)
Put everything on wheels, and just roll it in. The bins are resin, bolted to wire shelving that we equipped with pneumatic casters. Judging by the fly swatter, this was taken at New Paltz. :becky:

Very nice solution! :thumb:

Gowan 04-01-2013 09:48 PM

I use the 24" D x 49" W x 35” H rolling table from Sam's with the stainless steel top. Not only is it the perfect height and work service for dealing with grease, sticky sauce and hot grates, if you shop around you can find cheap plastic drawer storage units that will fit on the wire shelf below.

The whole unit is still lightweight, but will hold all your knives, brushes, injectors and other small items. Total cost: way under $200.