The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm done or Okay schmucks (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151148)

Hawg Father of Seoul 01-09-2013 09:20 AM

I'm done or Okay schmucks

Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

bigabyte 01-09-2013 09:31 AM

You don't have to be a deckle about it.:laugh:

:brick:

:becky:

gtr 01-09-2013 09:34 AM

I'm not sure if I'm getting the point.

Untraceable 01-09-2013 09:35 AM

Love me some Deckle

CarolinaQue 01-09-2013 09:42 AM

I always thought that the deckle was the band of fat that ran through a piece of meat and not necessarily a specific muscle? Such as a deckle of fat exist in both a whole brisket and a rib roast?

Gnaws on Pigs 01-09-2013 09:51 AM

I like to drink a glass of George Deckle every now and then while I'm smoking a brisket.

Muzzlebrake 01-09-2013 09:52 AM

what a deckle! :becky:

Sorry but I have to laugh about this just a little bit. Until today I had never heard this term used in a BBQ context at all. Here in my area, we have one of the largest Jewish populations in the world and whenever I do a demo or in-store I will inevitably have an old jewish woman ask me about the "deckle". FIrst time I heard it it threw me for a loop, I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I'm not only used to it, I have come to expect it. I thought it was just a dated old scholl Jewish term that rarely gets used anymore. Seems I may have been mistaken.
Today however was the first time I had heard it used here on the Brethren in reference to BBQ brisket.

Militant83 01-09-2013 09:58 AM

Deckle? I have read many post on here about brisket and haven't seen anyone use the term Deckle. Deckle sounds like something you shouldn't get caught playing with.

Bludawg 01-09-2013 10:11 AM

I think someone tied his deckle in a knot!

Ijustwantedtolookatpics 01-09-2013 10:19 AM

Be careful with the deckle...you'll go blind!

gtr 01-09-2013 10:33 AM

^^^could somebody read that out loud please? I don't see too good.

Hawg Father of Seoul 01-09-2013 10:36 AM

deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”

Ron_L 01-09-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul (Post 2322464)
Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

Do you feel better now?

bigabyte 01-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul (Post 2322532)
deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”

I'm going to the donut shop in Fredricksburg VA if you would like me to show you a deckle.:thumb:

BBQ Bandit 01-09-2013 11:41 AM

Trout