The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Should I make the switch to a pellet smoker? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159408)

smokingbarrel 04-24-2013 10:41 AM

Should I make the switch to a pellet smoker?

I've got a UDS that I love and use almost every weekend. I'm considering adding a pellet smoker to my collection (most likely a Trager Grill).

What does everyone think - is it worth considering? I've never used a pellet grill before and only know about them based on what I have read online.

Vision 04-24-2013 10:45 AM

I've researched it, tasted some chicken off one, and will not do it.

deguerre 04-24-2013 10:50 AM

Probably depends on how much smoke flavoring you like?

timzcardz 04-24-2013 10:50 AM

Can't comment on if it is worth considering, however . . . . Traeger is coming to a Costco near you. http://www.costco.com/wcsstore/Costc...lEvents_NE.pdf

They were in my Costco 2-3 week sago and I believe that they had some pretty good in-store prices.

smokingbarrel 04-24-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2458995)
Probably depends on how much smoke flavoring you like?

I'm happy with the amount of smoke flavor I get from my UDS but have to be careful because sometimes it can oversmoke if I add too much wood to the coals.

I like the idea of having an indirect heat smoker since right now the UDS is direct heat.

luke duke 04-24-2013 11:01 AM

If it ain't wood, it ain't good.

Bludawg 04-24-2013 11:01 AM

If it requires electricity to run it what do you do if the power goes out or the electrics get a Queer electron and Blow?? Not to mention being a slave to proprietary fuel:noidea: So what do you gain in this decision that you lack in the UDS?
Lets see:
UDS
Buy fuel most any where,
Pretty much set & forget,
No sensitive parts to fry. Works during a power outage,
Easily maintains temps,
Ability to cook direct or indirect( using a Diffuser)
Made in the USA.

Pellet Pooper
Requires electricity to operate
Fuel not readily available
Sensitive electronics ( Most likely assembled in China)
Pretty much set & forget

Mark Warren 04-24-2013 11:03 AM

I thought Traegers have a fire box in the bottom offset to one side, if so seems to me you won't get the consistent heat range across your cooking surface.

ButtBurner 04-24-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Warren (Post 2459007)
I thought Traegers have a fire box in the bottom offset to one side, if so seems to me you won't get the consistent heat range across your cooking surface.

they do but they have to have electricity to power the controller and the auger

Mark Warren 04-24-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2459011)
they do but they have to have electricity to power the controller and the auger

So I can buy a little wood chip smoke add box - throw it into my oven and I got me a Treager?
Nice :crazy:

Ron_L 04-24-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke duke (Post 2459004)
If it ain't wood, it ain't good.

Ummm...

Pellets are 100% wood.

:confused:

Bamabuzzard 04-24-2013 11:09 AM

We were at a tradeshow in Houston, TX last summer and there was a vendor there who was pushing pellet smokers. I stopped by his booth to just shoot the bull. Rather than just wanting to have a good conversation with another vendor (me) he went into his sales pitch about how pellet smokers are "the best thing out there" when it comes to bbq'n. He asked what type of smoker I had and when I told him a Stumps Baby he confidently said (pointing to his units) "This thing right here will bbq the doors off your unit I can promise you. Will put out a better product with more flavor." At that point I laughed so hard I had to excuse myself....

MikeJ65 04-24-2013 11:15 AM

If you like sleep, I would recommend it.

ButtBurner 04-24-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Warren (Post 2459013)
So I can buy a little wood chip smoke add box - throw it into my oven and I got me a Treager?
Nice :crazy:

only if your oven burns pellets for heat

deguerre 04-24-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2459014)
Ummm...

Pellets are 100% wood.

:confused:

They make GREAT foil bombs too. Don't you have a Memphis grill Ron? I know cowgirl has one.