The $231.00 Turkey!

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well here she is the $231.00 plus turkey!

For those of you who do not know the story please refer to

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74921

I started with a 14lb hen, brined in salt, Tender Quick, OJ, tangerines, turbanado, onions, maple syryp
garlic,black pepper, a little Minors stock and enough water to make 2 gallons or so, for 16 hours.

I let her drain in the fridge for another 10 hours.

I stuffed her with onions, tangerines, celery and carrots, a little dried parsley
(forgive me but I forgot how to buy only a single bunch of parsely I have gotton so used to buying A BUNCH of parsely)
and a sprinkling of dried lemon peel.

stuffingprep.jpg

Here she is all stuffed and trussed, and rubbed down with a little, (ok it was a 1/4lb) of homemade herbed unsalted butter. I wish they had done a better job when they gutted her. The skin was cut halfway down the breast and the but was cut half way up the back. Hope the skin doesn't split to badly.

turkeyprep.jpg

On to the WSM at what I can only assume to be about 325*. Had to do the hand test to estimate heat. Still don't have a probe or thermometer for her.

Here she is after about 2 1/2 hours and the first glaze of OJ, butter, marmalade and maple syrup.

1stGlaze.jpg

Another hour to hour and a half and she should be ready!

Well an hour and a 1/4 has past and she is done, done, done!

done.jpg

She appears to be very very juicy despite the split skin. Most of that happened because of the tight trussing. When I picked her up the wings split a little so I know at least they are done.:wink:

Well that is my $231 turkey that he only paid $65 for. Net loss $166! Not bad for a days work. :icon_pissed

Well I need to shower and go deliver it now. See ya later.

I do have one question for ya? Do you think it is worth the $65 I am being paid for it?

Looks great.

Stories to tell the Grandkids.....Priceless! look at the positive side.

Beautiful bird. Sweet! As I said, word of mouth Bro...

Good looking bird ya got there. If it tastes half as good as it looks, they got a bargain.

I agree, a purty bird, well worth the $65. I seen a lot worse go for a similar price.

Just back from delivering the bird and tending to another creation on the smoker. I made them promise me they would take pics of the bird after they sliced it so I could post them here. Even my friends think I am weird.
Thanks for all your wonderful comments and compliments.
I realized I forgot to post a pic of a step in the process. I did ice the breast and I hereby request that this no longer be refered to as icing the breast but as the
"PURPLE NURPLE MOD".

PurpleNurpleMod.jpg

Great bird! Look at it this way, $166 worth of advertising! Keep cooking like that, you'll have enough money for gear in no time.

That is one beautiful bird bro. Sorry you had to go thru hell to get it done! You'll recover your losses before long,if you keep the gigs comming like your doing. Grats to ya!

KuyasKitchen
Gotta s about th cost of shipping birds packed in dry ice, that way I can sell nation wide.
cowgirl
Beautiful bird Marc!
I bet that is what all the Brit's say about you!
MilitantSquatterIt may not get much better, but it can get better. That is the beauty of 'Q', no matter how good it is, you always think of some way to tweak it.
txschutte
I hope it pays off three fold ... this week!

That is one beautiful bird bro. Sorry you had to go thru hell to get it done! You'll recover your losses before long,if you keep the gigs comming like your doing. Grats to ya!

The moment this comes full time I will give a call and see if I can put you to work too!
Thanks for the compliment on the bird!

Great looking Turkey!

Ask a Deer hunter to break down what they cost per pound??? Or a Phesant?

Back