• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Post-Comp Break Down and Question

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hot Buttered BBQ competed at Crosspoints cook off this past weekend and learned a ton. First the very bad: We committed the unthinkable...we got DQ'ed for being 20 seconds late withour chicken turn in. Many smaller mistakes lead to this big one, but as captain of the team it has to fall on my shoulders. I clearly did not prepare my team mates properly or that would never have happened. We will be getting an atomic clock for our next Q :)

The other three catogories went well for us, though our scores don't show it. We only broke into the top 20 with our pork butt. After carefully analyzing our turn ins I fifgured out what killed us...We made our BBQ bland. If we had had judges that were 70 and older we would have scored great :)

The rain was horrible; thank fully my wife's grandparents let us use their motor home to keep dry in!! We are going to invest in a tent for next time.

Which Tent would you all reccomend?

Some of the pop ups, easy ups really help...but, look for some that have the ability to have sides snapped on....helps with the right to left/left to right rain........

It seems like your hindsite is pretty good as far as processing what all went wrong...and ways to correct it. Just remember, try to fix small things....and dont try to revamp everything at once.....one suggestion.....do a entire comp at home, starting friday night, with turn in times to match that of a comp....down to the last second........it helps with making sure when to do what.....

But, overall, congrats on getting that one over with.....

Sorry to hear on the DQ... Can happen to the best of us, and it sounds like you've already taken the lesson and moven forward. Congrats an surviving your first time out!

As far as tents, I'm assuming you are talking about an awning, not a camping (sleep in) tent. If so, get something sturdy... The "cheapie" easy up tents don't hold up well in a good dust of wind. I personally have a 10x20 (which when staked in and strapped to my coolers and water buckets isn't going anywhere) and I have a commercial grade EZ-up. Don't waste time or money on the lesser grade ones.

Bummer. I hate to see a team DQ'ed. I judged Decatur, AL this weekend where there were more of them than I'd ever experienced at a single contest: meat rosette, illegal garnish, too few visible pieces, boneless ribs, etc. A lot of teams were frustrated I'm sure.

As for tents, there are two lines of thinking there. One faction believes you should invest several hundred dollars in the heavy duty EZ-ups, like Aaron above. The other reasons that no awning will survive a big blow so they go for the lightweight Sam's Club version or the Kmart knockoffs, figuring it's cheaper in the long run since they will usually succumb to wind before they wear out.

Of course, nothing beats the comfort and security of a motorhome if you're fortunate enough to have access to one!

Congratulations on surviving the Crosspoints BBQ contest. It was a long Friday night. :eek: I was there but did not get out much to meet the teams due to a late arrival and the weather. I recommend 2 10x10 EZ Ups with sides. You can get them at Sams for around $180 each. You can also try Sams Club online auction. We got 3 of them there for $105 each. In the winter time the have alot of them to clearance out. I also recommend a 24x 14 HEAVY tarp to put on top of them when you know it is going to rain.
Good luck in the future

Chris

Canopies DOA

Sorry to hear about the DQ as for canopies one of mine had to be shot after the wind blast we had... what a storm. you may want to check into a 10x20 from costco ($300) where you will spend $125-150 for each eazyup and I think the 10x20 holds together a lot better.

Good luck to you.

Will

Bummer on the DQ. You hit the nail on the head..the atomic clock is the only way to go.
I'm going to stray from the others and tell you that we got our "Quest" canopy from the sporting goods store. On sale of coarse for 69 bucks I think. It works fine...survived Paola a couple of years ago and several other storms too. Like everything else I buy I get what I can afford at the time. If the budget (read wife) says you can spend "X" then thats what you buy and maybe upgrade later. Just my thoughts.

I'm Tim and I approved this message!

Hot Buttered BBQ competed at Crosspoints cook off this past weekend and learned a ton. First the very bad: We committed the unthinkable...we got DQ'ed for being 20 seconds late withour chicken turn in. Many smaller mistakes lead to this big one, but as captain of the team it has to fall on my shoulders. I clearly did not prepare my team mates properly or that would never have happened. We will be getting an atomic clock for our next Q :)

I am impressed that you would put this on your shoulders as captain of your team. We've seen many captains throw team members under the bus. We salute you!

Rich and Bunny
Been 3 seconds late at the Royal......on ribs......ouch! My bad.

We have 2 ezups we use if calling for nice weather,, if there is any chance of rain and or wind,, we take the 10x20 carport canopy, we picked up at pep boys over 4yrs ago for 69bucks, plus all the sides for it for another 39,, on sale of course,,, once its up,, no mater the weather,, that thing is sturdy.

Back