cook early question

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am supposed to provide lunch for a friends business Wednesday (25 mouths) I had planned to let the butts cook all night Tuesday. It now appears it will rain Tuesday night into Wed morning. If I cook tonight should I put a small amount of sauce on the pork or just wait till I after I reheat Wed morning? I'm sure this is old school to most but this is new to me. Thanks!

Cook the pork
Rest the pork
Pull the pork
Freezer bags with a little apple juice

Day of event, heat big pot of water and put the freezer bags in the hot water. (Hot NOT boiling. Make sure they are freezer bags and not cheapo ones)

Add sauce at this point should you so desire.

I had fantastic luck reheating pulled pork for my sales team a couple of weeks ago in my electric roaster. Just took the roaster to work, filled it with water, set the thermostat for 200 degrees, put bags of frozen pulled pork in and put the lid on. Came back two hours later to perfectly done pulled pork.

(Now stop in at "Cattle Call" and introduce yourself to everyone, somehow you missed that)

I cooked a butt for a family party we had. Cooked on a Sunday, rest, pulled into a zip loc, into the freezer. The next Thursday I pulled it out and thawed in the fridge, that saturday morning (10am) put it all in a crock pot on low for an hour then set to warm. Went to my son's football game came back at 5pm and it was warmed up and ready to go. I didn't add any sauce at all.

only thing I would do, "shock it" fill up the sink with ice and water, put your zipped locked pulled pork in it. the reason is , atleast to me is it might not get down in temps fast enough to be safe:icon_sick and putting hot food in a freezer is gonna make it work hard. and try to stick it in a freezer that isn't opened alot. good luck:razz:

I have 3 butts cooking now and will rest and pull in the am. Do you think if I allow them to cool for a couple of hours and just refrigerate until Wed morning and then reheat they will be ok?

You should be fine with just putting in the fridge and reheating on Wednesday. Like Larry said don't get the water boiling cause you might end up with water in your bags. I've even had the heavy duty freezer bags open up on me before. I've learned to keep the water below 200.

Back