• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First post, first cook with HeaterMeter

Dave M

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello Brethren,

I'm in geek heaven here. I just built a HeaterMeter for pit control and jacked it into my 18.5" wsm. I've got a brisket flat on there and am part way through the cook. My wsm (and my uds, and mini wsm) are very easy to control, so this pit controller is just a toy to play with.

So far it's interesting. I'm going hot and fast on this, and had a welding blanket wrapped around the wsm to start. You can see the temp was above setpoint until about 12:20 pm, at which point I removed the blanket. I wanted to see the blower come on. :mrgreen:

Now that the fire needs to put out more heat to overcome the heat loss through the sides, the controller is doing a pretty good job of holding setpoint. I wrapped the flat in butcher paper at about 12:45, you can see a spike there. Oh, as I type this another temp spike occurred. Fun stuff!

I'm written a script that uploads an image of the temp graph every 5 minutes. It doesn't auto refresh, so if anybody is interested in watching the progress they should hit refresh in their browser to get an updated image.

Hello, and welcome aboard.
Sounds great.
Very cool script, we can all follow along in real time.
I like geeky stuff.

@IamMadMan: I didn't take pics at beginning or when I butcher papered, but will get some at the end.

@Bob: Thanks. I tweaked it a bit to overlay a cook log.

Looks like I may be getting through the stall. :)

You are. :-D
I'm sitting here in New York monitoring your cook! :thumb:
High tech is cool. :icon_cool

Checked it 15 minutes ago, not quite soft. I'm not that experienced with brisket though. :grin:

The HeaterMeter isn't even in a case yet. Too excited to try it out.

Attachments

• pit1.jpg
    pit1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 154
  • pit2.jpg
    pit2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 153
  • pit3.jpg
    pit3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 149
  • pitpic.jpg
    pitpic.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 145
Pulled it at 194 as it seemed to probe pretty tender and I need to get to my son's soccer game. :biggrin1:

I foiled it and put it into a cooler with some towels. I'm going to leave the pit running to see how long it can keep running at temp. More later!

Well dang, it was just "ok". Tender, with good flavor, but a little dry. Maybe next time....

Here's a blurry pic of the final result.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 128
Back