The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ Sauce past "Sell By" date? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156210)

KevinR 03-15-2013 11:02 AM

BBQ Sauce past "Sell By" date?

Hi All!

My in-laws picked up multiple cases of Sweet Baby Ray's for me... with a Sell By January 2013. 80oz. jugs for $1 each. Cheap enough for them to act first and ask later.

Can I use the sauce? If so, how long will the unopened bottles keep? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

joshcary 03-15-2013 11:09 AM

I can't say for certain, but I can give you an example of my experience. As a retailer, when things are past the sell date, we remove them from the shelf. We never sell them to people for safety reasons. On the other hand, I have taken bbq sauces, salsas, hot sauces, etc. home and used them when they were past the date with no issues.

So, proceed with caution, and if it smells bad or seems to look odd, just chuck it!

Partyof5 03-15-2013 11:13 AM

It's safe to use. BBQ sauces are shelf-stable and are safe to eat unopened indefinitely. Sell by dates are for flavor/quality. Use by dates are for food safety.

grantw 03-15-2013 11:22 AM

BBQ Sauce past "Sell By" date?

Agreed sell by is for best flavor profile

Bamabuzzard 03-15-2013 11:22 AM

adively26 is correct. BBQ sauces are very shelf stable and safe to eat unopened indefinitely.

KevinR 03-15-2013 12:11 PM

Just noticed it actually states "best by Jan 19 2013."

Based on the replies we should be ok. Thanks again.

Trumpstylz 03-15-2013 12:33 PM

I saw an article on food safety a few months ago. The expert said that the way they decide the "sell by" and "use by" dates is by having a panel of people with a heightened sense of taste taste it from one month on up to a few years. Once the taste starts to diminish (often times, normal people without a heightened sense of taste and smell won't actually notice), that is the date they set for. The expert also said that they have never seen someone sick from eating past the sell by date (the only thing that causes sickness is germs, salmonella, etc).

Essentially, the dates have to do with taste and have nothing to do with safety. In the article, a can of 100 year old peaches and oysters were tested and proved to be fine and still contained nutrients.

It was pretty entertaining. Listen to it:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...t-expired-food

Gadragonfly 03-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2408622)
Essentially, the dates have to do with taste and have nothing to do with safety. In the article, a can of 100 year old peaches and oysters were tested and proved to be fine and still contained nutrients.

Why would anyone want oysters that have soaked for 100 years in peach juice?! :shock:

Bamabuzzard 03-15-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadragonfly (Post 2408626)
Why would anyone want oysters that have soaked for 100 years in peach juice?! :shock:

It may give you an explosion like none other. They've had time to build up some good go-go juice. The wimminz luvz dem sum of dat!!!! :shock:

Carbon 03-15-2013 01:03 PM

Back in 2009 I picked up dozens and dozens of SBR's in different flavors on sale at 50 cents each. They all had exp dates of 2010. Three years after the exp date I'm still using them and they all seem fine.

yakdung 03-15-2013 01:04 PM

I would use it as long as it wasn't dropped on a driveway.

Trumpstylz 03-15-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadragonfly (Post 2408626)

Yeah, the cans were seperate, they were just both found on the same sunken ship and then analyzed. They also had a can of 40 year old corn, and said it was fine.

Texas Turtle 03-15-2013 02:46 PM

I'm good with all that, but riddle me this, caped crusader - today I went to Sam's and purchased a case of Tyson "All Natural" pork butts (67 pounds @ $1.19 per pound). When I got home, I opened the box and found all eight butts had a sticker on the cryo that said "Best used or frozen by 3/07/13". Keep in mind that I purchased them on 3/15/13. I opened two twin packs and rewrapped them separately in double plastic followed by double foil and put in freezer. The other four I am planning on cooking on 3/20/13 and serving to a church group. They smelled fine and looked fine. Should I be worried? Should I freeze all of them and thaw out on Tuesday before cooking on Wednesday? I was planning on keeping the four for Wednesday in the fridge until Tuesday afternoon.

Gnaws on Pigs 03-15-2013 02:53 PM

Most bbq sauce has a good bit of vinegar in it anyway.

SmokinSlowPoke 03-15-2013 02:54 PM

Texas, meat is a completely different story. I would be headed back to Sam's for a refund or an exchange.