New CBJs!

Thanks all!

Good class. Merl focused on submerging personal feelings and judging per the rules. Two things really stuck above the rest: Don't be the 'BBQ Police' and look for the good, and DO THE COOKER NO HARM. Good words. After the first round of judging I started to to realize I scored on the high side.

And yeah, one of the last classes, possibly, from Merl & Carol. Sad. It's just BBQ, right!?

Last edited:
Congratulations! When you judge, always remember that the cooks who put the stuff in front of you put in a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" to get it there. They deserve your total attention and adherence to the rules. Now -- Have fun!!!

Hub
(native Sooner, lived in Enid a long time)

Did you get your cooler yet?
:)

Bought a new 48-quart one with wheels on all corners, and chrome, and... :)

Congratulations!

Did Pork collars come up?

Thanks, bro! As a matter of fact he did explain the difference between pork collars and the cuts that were legal. Cutting edge stuff. :)

Congrats! You kids will make great judges!

Thanks, dad! :)

Do yo feel like a CBJ? That is the most important part!

I feel...different. Now we're empowered to drive hundreds of miles for no chance at a payout, find our own lodging, get no pre-turn in taste tests, have no all-day conversations...I'd better stop! :-D It does feel great.

Congratulations! When you judge, always remember that the cooks who put the stuff in front of you put in a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" to get it there. They deserve your total attention and adherence to the rules. Now -- Have fun!!!

Hub
(native Sooner, lived in Enid a long time)

Right on, Hub. Having had the privilege of cooking at a few comps I know just what you mean. I think the requirement to cook with a team before getting your master's certificate is very smart on the society's part.

Arlin

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I sat through a CBJ class yesterday taught by Mike Lake, and he hit the same points about not trying to be bbq police and about the pork collar.

It was a good class and opened my eyes on what new judges think.

Congrats on completing CBJ class! I'm attending one in two weeks, looking forward to it.

Congrats, I'll add mine to all the rest.

Love Thom's comment and musicmanryan's response -- just too funny!!

Well, Jeannie and I are one-hour old CBJs. Took Merl's course in Enid we're ready to go!

I was there too! My wife and I sat at the front row right hand side...I thought the class had some useful information. Why is it going to be possisbly Merl's last class?

Back