Ribeyes... It's whats' for dinner (w/pr0n)

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I decided to cook a couple steaks for me and the gf for dinner tonight... I picked up a pack of two 1-lb ribeyes that looked pretty decent...

ribeye_0217.JPG

To go along with the meat, I put some fat vidalia onion slabs on the grill and a couple ears of corn...

ribeye_0218.JPG

My gf's steak has to go on early because she won't touch it unless it shoe-leather well done. Maybe I should buy cheaper steaks for her because I bet the all taste the same!

ribeye_0221.JPG

The onions were drizzled with olive oil and lightly dusted with Emeril's Essence seasoning. The corn was just soaked in water for about 30 minutes and tossed right on the grill. I cooked them over direct heat and then moved them over when I put the steaks on...

ribeye_0219.JPG

I whipped up some yeast roll dough in the bread machine and put them in the oven while the steaks were grilling...

ribeye_0220.JPG

The cast iron grates on the Weber Kettle make nice sear marks, but I might not have had the grills quite hot enough when I put the steaks on. This kettle is new to me and I don't have a lot of experience cooking on it yet. The steaks were delicious. I cook mine to medium rare, and with these, that worked out to about 4.5-5 minutes per side. I took the steaks out of the fridge about 40 minutes or so before I was ready to put them on the grill to let them equalize to near room temperature. I seasoned them with coarse kosher sea salt and a little black pepper...

The meal was tasty!

Awwww those are cut widdle ribeyes.

Salt and pepper is all you need. Ribeyes have enough fat that they're just friggin awesome as long as the salt is in place.

I'd say the grill could have been a bit higher, I try to blast my inferred grill as hot as I can get it, I Also like to cook my steaks from straight out of the fridge, I want to char the outside as much as I can without over cooking the middle.

I either talk with the butcher at the local market and ask for 2" thick ribeyes (if guest are coming over) or a 2.5" ribeye if just for me and my wife.

I also buy whole slabs of ribeyes from sams club and cut them myself.

To this day, I still get better steaks when cooking them on a nice highend skillet or a cheap cast iron skillet indoors. I love having full blown char all over the steak rather then grill marks.

Even when eating out at high end steak houses, the best steaks I've ever had were cooked in a pan.

steak1.jpg

2.5" thick, any larger and it's pointless, you have a roast.

Even when eating out at high end steak houses, the best steaks I've ever had were cooked in a pan.

I'll have to give the pan a try sometime with a steak. I have a couple good cast iron pans that would do the trick. That might be a good opportunity to 'blacken' one sometime. How do you deal with all the fat drippings from a ribeye when pan searing them? It seems like it would be a lot of run-off.

Yours look GREAT! Cook the CHICK a hamburger steak and give her a bottle of ketchup.She won't know the difference.:wink: Just funnin,no disrespect intended.

Put the lid of your kettle on slightly ajar if you want to get it ripping hot. The extra area for exhaust gas will have your fire red hot in 5 minutes and put a killer sear on anything.

Same for the WSM too really. Increase the chimney effect by letting more exhaust gas flow and you'll get a hotter fire.

Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so (you might have to lift off one of the grate sections and break up some of the wood embers to get things moving along). This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.
IMG_0030.jpg

I also like to add a coat of fresh ground ancho chili powder (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:
IMG_0099.jpg

I'll have to give the pan a try sometime with a steak. I have a couple good cast iron pans that would do the trick. That might be a good opportunity to 'blacken' one sometime. How do you deal with all the fat drippings from a ribeye when pan searing them? It seems like it would be a lot of run-off.

All that fat ends up frying the steak.

=)

Extra crust. MMmmmmmmmmm

Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so. This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.
IMG_0030.jpg

I also like to add a coat of ground ancho chilies (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:
IMG_0099.jpg
Show off:boxing:

Id hit both those plates.

Nice job guys:thumb:

Here's the recipe for the yeast rolls...

Ingredients go in the bread machine pan in this order:

1 cup water
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Put the bread machine on the dough cycle and run this batch of ingredients until the cycle is complete... remove the dough from the bread pan and form a dough mound on a lightly floured surface. Let sit for 15 minutes or so covered.

Divide the dough into about 14 equal size pieces and form them into small 2" balls. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. You can brush the top of the dough balls with melted butter at this point if you wish. Cook 12-15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 375° You can also brush the tops with melted butter again if you like after they come out of the oven... serve hot...

Thanx for the recipe. I wanna make some good rolls. mine always turn out really hard on top and not to good. not soft at all.

gonna try these for pulled pork

Thanx for the recipe. I wanna make some good rolls. mine always turn out really hard on top and not to good. not soft at all.

gonna try these for pulled pork

IMO, these would not make great sandwich rolls. These are more like the yeast rolls you get at Golden Corral :) They are a bit on the sweet side. Home made sandwich rolls are on my agenda but I just haven't gotten there yet...

Back