• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sticking agent for ribs

K

koko1

Do most of y'all use mustard? I have always used mustard until my last rack and I decided to not put anything on them before I applied the rub. It turned out better IMO. It seems when I use mustard and then wrap them overnight while in the fridge they get real soggy sorta. In turn the bark on the ribs tend to take a little longer to form especially if doing baby backs on a 221. What's y'all's opinion and what do you prefer?

I use nothing, season salt, little dusting of rub, smoke & fire

I take them out of the fridge, light the cooker, throw on the rub, and toss them on the pit when it gets to temp.

Recently, I've been using yellow mustard. I've also used peanut oil and nothing, it all works good.
I rub my ribs right before I put them on the cooker, not the night before. They sit for about an hour before going on.

Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, cumin and granulated garlic its heaven.

I don't see any need really to use mustard or oil to get rub to stick to meat. I don't use anything and I don't have a problem with rub falling off.

I don't see any need really to use mustard or oil to get rub to stick to meat. I don't use anything and I don't have a problem with rub falling off.
yeeeeuupp....it will sweat up and the moisture will hold..do one side and let it sit 10 minutes...then flip...add your extra brown sugar after on smoker..

I usually use a mustard slather that has beer, cider vinegar, light brown sugar, and some of my rub in it. but, I think I might just go plain salt, pepper and a little rub next time.

Good old fruit juice is my main reach for. Know some that use steak sauce, oil and mustard. That's one reason I use juices, to be different and to add a different hint of flavor. Steve

I mostly use the cheap mustard and then rub right before I place them on the drum. I sometimes let them sit for about 30 minutes prior to cooking. I would not let them sit overnight with the mustard on them.

I like the ideas in this thread and might try them soon.

Thanks for the idea's.

Nothing for me, I just apply the rub directly to the ribs.

Back