Slicing Or Scoring Chicken Skin In IBCA: Marked Entry???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Let me say first that this is not a question of whether you think its a good idea or not. This is simply to determine whether it would be DQ'd or not. I tried it and have had good results as far as rendering the skin, but don't want to get punished for it.

The IBCA rules don't mention it, but that doesn't necessarily mean its OK.

Thanks.

It'll be a marked box and DQ'd.

It'd really be up to the head judge at the contest - there's no fast & easy rules on it, I don't think. I'd have to see just how much your scoring or slicing made that particular entry identifiable. Remember, tho, in the end, ALL the chicken ends up looking mangled & unidentifiable once the judges get thru with it.

Lynn H.

QDat, what about using a Jaccard on the skin prior to cooking instead of slicing and scoring. This is one of my Winter practice ideas (may even work on it next weekend), using the Jaccard on both the meat and skin. As far as a marked box, I agree with Lynn, it would come down to how identifiable the slicing and scoring would be.

The question is vague. Are you referring to slicing or scoring on top of the skin?

And if so.. why? Rendering skin in a contest where a knife and for are used makes no sense to me.

In fact, Many judges pull the skin back before hacking into the barnyard pimp.

I get the feeling that unless it looks really obvious, the judges/helpers wouldn't even spot it and accept it. However, a real picky judge @one of the tables that knows the rules might bring it to the HJ attention.. but by that time it's all mangled anyway.

Having said that, I agree with RangerJ, a lot of judges don't even bother with the skin. Getting that flavor deep into that meat, that's the ticket!

The issue I see is than in many cases there are actual team members doing judging and they are always looking for some reason more than the average judge to point out something to the HJ or table monitor and they may be the first judge or one of the first to look at it (rather than after its all mangled) and will immediately point it out. I would not do it.

Let me say first that this is not a question of whether you think its a good idea or not. This is simply to determine whether it would be DQ'd or not. I tried it and have had good results as far as rendering the skin, but don't want to get punished for it.

The IBCA rules don't mention it, but that doesn't necessarily mean its OK.

Thanks.

I don't know of a rule that addresses it specifically, but I'd speak to the head judge about it before starting my cook. Once you get to the table that's kind of hard to fix. I'd be concerned about a DQ.

I'd say don't do it. Like Jorge said, tough to fix that box in a short window.

Jaccard, we do it...with decent results.

Back