The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pancakes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174742)

dport7 11-06-2013 06:14 PM

Pancakes

In a previous thread, I showed a pic of the cast iron pizza pan I unearthed
in my front yard, so anyway, I had this sweet tooth going on, so I decided
to season the pan a little more.

I cooked a pound of double thick cut bacon, then a couple pancakes.
Sorry, nothing plated, I'm a pig and just ate it all.

Was gonna make pizza tonight over the fire, but it was so nice out today
I just messed around outside till dark and now am out of the mood,
maybe tomorrow.

Wampus 11-06-2013 06:15 PM

Awesome. Pancakes over a fire..... :thumb:

dwfisk 11-06-2013 06:41 PM

Looks like perfection!

YetiDave 11-06-2013 06:44 PM

Nice! I came across a recipe for Alaskan sourdough pancakes a while back and haven't looked back. Best pancakes EVER, and I'm sure they'd taste even better cooked outdoors :grin:

pci 11-06-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YetiDave (Post 2684027)
Nice! I came across a recipe for Alaskan sourdough pancakes a while back and haven't looked back. Best pancakes EVER, and I'm sure they'd taste even better cooked outdoors :grin:

Nothing beats sourdough pancakes. Have some starter on the counter now that I started over 30 years ago. Sourdough no knead bread tomorrow.

TXM489 11-06-2013 06:49 PM

Amazing

YetiDave 11-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pci (Post 2684036)
Nothing beats sourdough pancakes. Have some starter on the counter now that I started over 30 years ago. Sourdough no knead bread tomorrow.

Wow... And I thought I was doing well with mine at 14 months!

dport7 11-06-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YetiDave (Post 2684027)

I looked up a Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe, so now I have to
start my own sourdough, how ever ya do that.

If you would, post your recipe. I'd love to try it.

Pyle's BBQ 11-06-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dport7 (Post 2684065)
I looked up a Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe, so now I have to
start my own sourdough, how ever ya do that.

If you would, post your recipe. I'd love to try it.

Here are the directions for the sourdough starter.

http://www.localharvest.org/blog/182...atch_capturing

Here is a Klondike-style pancake from Mother Earth News.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...ArticleContent

The thing about this pancake recipe is that it uses beaten egg whites in the batter to make them lighter. I haven't seen that before.

BBQDaddio 11-06-2013 10:45 PM

That looks delicious.

Pass the maple syrup please

martyleach 11-06-2013 10:47 PM

I gotta tell you. I have a lot of cast iron and that is just sweet! Nice pancake too!

cholloway 11-07-2013 02:25 AM

Nice...
Bisquick or your own recipe?

YetiDave 11-07-2013 03:21 AM

For the starter - mix 50/50 flour and water in a jar, maybe 20g flour to 20ml water, put the lid on and leave on a counter for 12 hours. Jars with plastic lids that have those cardboard inserts in them work great once you take the cardboard out as they're not airtight. Once every 12 hours throw away virtually all of the mixture and top it up with more flour and water. After a few days you should start to see bubbles forming, when it gets good and bubbly you're ready to go, you can keep it in the fridge and feed it once a week with flour and water. Note that bleached flour is no good for doing this, you're better of starting with wholemeal flour and once you've got the starter active you can switch to feeding it all purpose flour. Never wash the jar and try to keep a good amount (if you need more then just feed it more flour and water to 'grow' it)

The pancakes (serves 2) -
Mix 100g of starter with 150g of flour and 150ml of water, cover and leave on the counter overnight (even better, make this mix 24 hours before you want your pancakes) the longer you leave it the better the flavour will be as the yeast and bacteria grow and ferment
5tbsp olive oil
2tbsp fine sugar
A pinch of salt
1 egg
1tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda

Stir in the soda just before you want to cook them and try not to disturb the mix too much when ladling/pouring so you preserve the air bubbles

sliding_billy 11-07-2013 03:31 AM

I Love Pancakes. Thus, I Love Those!

BigBellyBBQ 11-07-2013 05:09 AM

I am lucky...our local store has a sour dough pancake mix...not in the same league as scratch, however cures my fix...
however, my favorite pancake is made from corn bread mix, like a skinny Johny cake,,,
start with bacon, leave the grease behind and pour in you corn pancake batter...flip when edges are CRISPY and a little butter / maple syrup...mmmmmmm