The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Question for Experienced Judges - Premade Sauce and Rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174598)

bmikiten 11-04-2013 12:57 PM

Question for Experienced Judges - Premade Sauce and Rub

You are judging the finals of a local event and notice that a few of the boxes are using a sauce and/or rub that is pre-made with a distinctive flavor you recognized from years of cooking. Do you judge it down or (as the rules say) judge it on the standard criteria on a stand-alone basis ignoring the fact that the contestant didn't do anything special.

bbq.tom 11-04-2013 01:37 PM

As long as the sauce enhances the flavor of the meat and doesn't overpower it, I don't care if it is straight out of a bottle or scratch made.

ckelly 11-04-2013 01:54 PM

I would think in a scenario like that, the scores would be more favorable.
You are presenting a flavor that the judge they are connected to/famaliar with.

RumRunner_1492 11-04-2013 02:09 PM

I don't care where the sauce or rub come from. I judge purely on taste as should everyone else. I think preparing, cooking and presenting a perfect box of BBQ is special no matter where the sauce and rub came from.

Pappy Q 11-04-2013 03:18 PM

Why would you even think of judging it down because the cook used a "commercial" rub and sauce? That's the kind of judging bs that really pisses off cooks.

5string 11-04-2013 03:28 PM

I judge each sample on it's own merit. This past weekend I judged at Hog Happnin. The first 3 chicken entries tasted like they all used the same rubs and sauces. The good news was, I liked the flavor and gave all of them high scores for taste. There is nothing at all wrong with using commercial rubs and sauces, there are some really good ones out there.

The preceding reply is my personal opinion which, I'm sure, will differ from some.

Smokin' D 11-04-2013 03:35 PM

I am a cook and a judge. Familiar flavors do seem to bump up the numbers a bit. I do not use straight up commercial sauces, but find that the popular ones in a given area make a good base to doctor up.

I would not judge up or down just because I think I recognize a particular brand of sauce or rub. Judge as presented is the way to go. If it is good, high numbers. If it is not so good, lower numbers.

Podge 11-04-2013 04:04 PM

I think this question seems to be "If you taste blues hog, do you score up or down?"

bbq.tom 11-04-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podge (Post 2681277)
I think this question seems to be "If you taste blues hog, do you score up or down?"

IMHO, BH overpowers the flavor of any meat it is slathered on!
Some judges like it because they taste something other than the meat, but that is exactly why I don't particularly like it as I can no longer taste the meat.

Smokin' D 11-04-2013 04:30 PM

If that be the case, then hmmmm. Judged a comp in Maine 2 summers ago and all of the chicken entries looked and tasted the same. Tenderness and appearance, layout in the box, were variables, but on taste they all got the same score. Don't remember the exact number, but it was above a 7 and below a 9:becky:

Porcine Perfection 11-04-2013 04:53 PM

Around here if you don't use BH you are taking a big gamble. :sad: I make a pretty good sauce but it is not a good competition sauce if that makes sense.

RumRunner_1492 11-04-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2681313)
IMHO, BH overpowers the flavor of any meat it is slathered on!
Some judges like it because they taste something other than the meat, but that is exactly why I don't particularly like it as I can no longer taste the meat.

I agree. I use BH but it has to be put on lightly or cut with another sauce.

little bit of r & r 11-04-2013 07:49 PM

I must be odd never used blues hog in comps because I really just don't like it we still score decent. I know everyone says cook for the judges but I feel it bh makes it more of a sauce contest instead of a meat contest

bignburlyman 11-05-2013 07:22 AM

I think there are some judges that score based more on the flavor of the sauce than the flavor of the meat. Myself I like less sauce so I can taste the meat, but I don't score down unless the sauce does not compliment the meat. Many entries these days have more sauce flavor than meat flavor. A lot of sauces taste good, but I like meat! NTTAWWT. :shocked::becky:

ITBFQ 11-05-2013 07:38 AM

I judge the meat as presented, just like KCBS says to. Home made sauce? Blues Hawg? Doesn't matter to me.