The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Searching for a first smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214087)

revkab 07-13-2015 04:18 PM

Regarding which smoker is the best of the best -

The best smoker is the one you can cook with the best. Get a smoker and learn how it runs, then get good with it. That WSM you been talking about will work real well, so will a UDS. If'n ya wants to have fun, get the WSM, then git started building a UDS. Learn those real well, THEN think about what to git next. Lotsa good advise here on everything from building to Q'ing.

jsmorrow2s 07-13-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammb (Post 3300040)
She does NOT like steak AND you're marrying her? Wow...that would probably be a deal breaker for me!

I hope she at least likes BBQ. I'm lucky in that my wife loves it almost as much as I do...which is good because she thinks I have an obsession.

oh she loves everything BUT steak, including burgers and brisket, just doesnt like steak.

she can also cook some awesome food (ive put on some serious lbs since weve been together lol) which is why shes a keeper haha

jsmorrow2s 07-13-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revkab (Post 3300133)
Regarding which smoker is the best of the best -

The best smoker is the one you can cook with the best. Get a smoker and learn how it runs, then get good with it. That WSM you been talking about will work real well, so will a UDS. If'n ya wants to have fun, get the WSM, then git started building a UDS. Learn those real well, THEN think about what to git next. Lotsa good advise here on everything from building to Q'ing.

thats exactly what i was thinking, except im absolutely terrible with building things. hell i could barely change a tube on a bicycle back in my bike racing days, which is why ill probably stay away from a usd for a bit.

i might have to prove to both myself and the future wife that i want to cook and keep cooking so that i can convince both of us an extremely nice smoker would be a wise investment

Jason TQ 07-13-2015 04:45 PM

22 WSM all day long. Such a great cooker for the money.

scp 07-13-2015 05:24 PM

Sounds like you are on a budget with the wedding and all....so I suggest craigslist...that's what I did...I wasn't on a budget so much as...I just wasn't convinced it was what I wanted....wrong...awesome cooker.

The first one I found was at a garage sale...listed as weber smoker...slightly used...$75. I called and they didn't know much...but come on by...I drove by and from the road...there was a POS grill sitting out...I didn't even stop. I got home and a more knowledgeable person called and wandered where I was...described a perfect WSM22.5....I went back and it was sold before I got there...boohoo. A couple of weeks later a new WSM22 showed up on C/L for $150....bamm...bought it on the spot. If you don't mind looking and waiting...there are some deals out there. BTW there were plenty of clapped out ones for 2-250 range.

Gore 07-13-2015 05:35 PM

If you are dedicated to mastering the craft and aren't going to give up, I fully recommend a cheap offset smoker. You will have to master fire control and you will learn EVERYTHING there is to learn. If you aren't dedicated, you may give up, but it you stick with it, you will be a master and will be able to cook on anything. The more you spend, the easier it is. Yeah, I love my Oval. It requires no effort at all. The first meal I made on it was wonderful, and just about everything after that. It requires no skill at all. I truly learned to BBQ on a cheap offset though. When I mastered that, I realized I could cook on anything.

Dweverett 07-13-2015 05:55 PM

My daughter just got married a week ago so I know your pain on the budget side. The WSM or PBC are both good choices. One other thing you could try is picking up a weber kettle off craigslist and play with that for a while you save up the money. It isn't as easy as the others but they are easy to find for <$50.

At least out here, WSMs are harder to come by (on CL) though you probably wouldn't have to wait that long

arclite 07-13-2015 07:25 PM

I don't think I can recommend it, but I did all my early low and slows on an 18.5 Weber kettle, except for when I borrowed my friend's 22.5 kettle for a 20 lb. fresh ham smoke. Talk about learning how to keep a fire going!

The first time I hit a stall (no idea what it was when it was happening) might have been the most frustrating thing I've experienced as a cook, except for that ex girlfriend who didn't like steak... :-P

So yeah, it's less about the tools and more about the craftsman and experience with most BBQ. I don't really have a specific cooker to look at, but you'll figure that out. That's part of the fun, because...

the #1 point of BBQ/Grilling is to have fun.

hammb 07-13-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s (Post 3300168)
oh she loves everything BUT steak, including burgers and brisket, just doesnt like steak.

she can also cook some awesome food (ive put on some serious lbs since weve been together lol) which is why shes a keeper haha

It's all good man!

As to your original question the wsm (old style 18") was my first, and still only, smoker. It makes awesome q, and does it in a pretty set it and forget it manner once you learn it. Highly recommend the wsm!

Fwismoker 07-13-2015 07:44 PM

I agree with start with one, and get good on it theme then move on to different kinds and sizes.

RapidCityBBQ 07-13-2015 08:14 PM

I bought the WSM 22.5 floor model, and they knocked $50 off the price. Plus, it was already assembled. Haven't looked back since. I love it.

Blue Smoke BBQ 07-13-2015 08:45 PM

Check your local Walmarts, they have had the 18's on clearance now for a little while, the one by me has them for $199.00.
As mentioned earlier, they very seldom go on sale.

jjjonz 07-13-2015 08:48 PM

At age 72 and a lot of cookers under my belt I can honestly say the PBC or the 18.5 WSM is a good choice...

PBC..

93vpmod 07-13-2015 10:05 PM

Josh-I have a Mini WSM that I built that you are welcome to have...I have had so much help here from the Brethren, that it would be nice for me to help someone else get started with BBQ.

This is one of the cooks that I had when I first built it 2yrs ago. If interested, send me a private message...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ni+WSM+93vpmod

jjjonz 07-13-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93vpmod (Post 3300534)
Josh-I have a Mini WSM that I built that you are welcome to have...I have had so much help here from the Brethren, that it would be nice for me to help someone else get started with BBQ.

This is one of the cooks that I had when I first built it 2yrs ago. If interested, send me a private message...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?
t=160451&highlight=Mini+WSM+93vpmod

Never thought of the mini being a starter smoker...I to use my mini a lot.