• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Request: Jalapeno & Habanero Seeds

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We have a small herb garden, which did not yield very much this year. We had a chili plant, but it gave exactly *one* red chili, which I had in chicken soap yesterday, and it wasn't even hot at all!

So my wife is asking for help:

Is anybody here with Jalapeno and Habanero in his own herb garden willing to share some seeds of both?

Such seeds seem to be impossible to get here, and we really would like to try some fresh from our own garden next year.

Compared to other (larger) items sent from the U.S. to Austria, this should be rather simple, I guess some seeds could easily be sent in a normal unregistered postal letter, and of course I would pay for the effort.

It's crazy how simple things can be so hard to accomplish. So if someone could help us out, I'd really appreciate it. :smile:

Thanks a lot, this is so great, I just love to be a member of the brethren. I wish I could return the favor, but there is absolutely nothing in the spirit of 'Q'ing Austria has to share.

Anybody else with some Jalapeno seeds?

It would be so great, to have some different kinds of hotness freshly available next season. :smile:

What is your spring/summer season like? How long are they and what are the high and low temps like?

It may not necessrily be an issue with the seeds or plants, but the weather itself may have a big impact on it.

I think both (Habanero & Jalapeno) should grow just fine here, they surely get enough sun, water and moderate temperatures. It's my wife's herb garden and she (being in the florist business) very well knows about such plants, it's just that they are not common here, and she couldn't find seeds anywhere locally.

If you are interested may be able to get you some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper If you are interested and want some real heat let me know.
I am not sure, this entry at wikipedia is not all that comforting:
The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T variety pepper is ranked as the most pungent ("hot") pepper in the world, according to Guinness World Records. A laboratory test conducted in March 2011 measured a specimen of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T at 1,463,700 Scoville heat units, officially ranking it the hottest pepper in the world.
So can this one still be enjoyed? Are you talking about the seeds, or a ready to use pepper product?

I am not especially searching for hotness, this endeavor is about seeds for getting some fresh in the own herb garden, and Jalapeno + Habanero are just our first choice.

The reason I was asking about weather was because it seems the plant you grew, grew well interms of the leaves, etc, but flowering, fruit set, and even the level of heat the pepper has is determined by day and more so night time temps. Soil and moisture have a big part in it as well.
Thanks for the info, I'll show the wife. I am not an expert (but my wife is), I am just in for consuming the results. :smile:

Anyway, even if the conditions were not perfect for growing chili here, we still would try, because even a not so perfect but fresh result is way better than any dried commercial products.

So if anybody with home grown Jalapeno would be willing to share some seeds, it would be perfect.

If you are not one for "Hot" peppers the habanero might not be one that you would like. Some chiles that come to mind that you can get that are pretty mild are Jalapenos, Pasillas, and Anaheims.

I am not much of a pepper head when it comes to terms of hot. But I love the flavors different peppers give to dishes. I like to taste my food, not burn out my mouth and my lower O ring. I like Jalapenos because I find that if I seed and devein them, the flavor it adds is awesome and it isnt a mouth burning spicy.

If you are not one for "Hot" peppers the habanero might not be one that you would like. Some chiles that come to mind that you can get that are pretty mild are Jalapenos, Pasillas, and Anaheims. I am not much of a pepper head when it comes to terms of hot. But I love the flavors different peppers give to dishes. I like to taste my food, not burn out my mouth and my lower O ring. I like Jalapenos because I find that if I seed and devein them, the flavor it adds is awesome and it isnt a mouth burning spicy.
We like it both, hot & not, one just needs to have it available to be picked depending on dish & mood.

I never even heard of Pasillas and Anaheims, but the more variety the better, there is still enough space in our little herb garden. A fine selection of chili & peppers is what we are after. :smile:

Interesting, but I am not in Australia, and I don't know of any import restrictions into the European Union. I also don't really care, because I guess some seeds in a postal letter will not be subject to inspection anyway.

Interesting, but I am not in Australia, and I don't know of any import restrictions into the European Union. I also don't really care, because I guess some seeds in a postal letter will not be subject to inspection anyway.

Sargeant Schultz mod...

It's Christmas Time!

The first seeds have arrived right on Christmas, I'd say the best Christmas present this year! Thanks a lot, Captndan :smile:

captndan_jalapeno_zpsd68fc673.jpg

captndan_anaheim_zps244eb611.jpg

Back