The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Pork is gonna be expensive buy buy buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81652)

Jacked UP BBQ 04-01-2010 02:06 PM

Pork is gonna be expensive buy buy buy

Look out vendors, pork is going throught the roof. I just called my guy abd he told me the best he can do is 1.35 on bone in butts. I usually pay 1.00 to him. He told me there is a shortage on pig herds and the price is going to get higher by at least 15%. Find it cheap now and BUY. I am going to rest depot to order 1500 lbs at 1.02. BUY BUY BUY

bigabyte 04-01-2010 02:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Was thinking of getting some more at Sams yesterday but passed. I better get back up there.

Smoke & Beers 04-01-2010 02:47 PM

If you think that it's going to be high here in a short while because of the market...wait until they start taxing for pig farts...no one will be able to afford pork or beef.:tsk:

PorkQPine 04-01-2010 03:05 PM

Restaurant Depot has them for $1.15 and local supermarket has them for $1.55

Grillman 04-01-2010 04:03 PM

By By... Butts,
By by Hamyness.
Hello; empty stomach,
I think I'm a gonna cry-y.

By by ...ribs.
By by sweet, tasty ribs.
Hello Chicken breasts.
I don't wanna have to fry.
By by; my pork butt; goodby-ye.

There goes my Baby Back ribs.
I'll have to Q something new.
I hope it tastes as good.
And isn't too tough to chew.
It was my favorite dish;
And that's why I'm so blue.

By by... Bacon;
You will be missed,
Everybody always loved you.
By by Pulled Pork samm-itch.
I will miss you tooo.

By by tasty pork.
And crunchy cracklins tooo.
By by Kansas City ribs;
I hoped we could spare you.
But; there's nuthin I can do.

Pork prices are going up;
And that's too much to chew.
I'll miss those thick pork chops.
And the lovely MOINK balls too.

By by... pork butts,
By by; by Hamyness.
Hello Squirrel meat...
I gotta Q somethin new.

By, by ...Pork Fat.
I am so very blue.
By by my lovely meats.
By By I will miss you.

Ok...I know it isn't very good; but, it took me about 20 minutes.
Plus I don't have any talent ... but; I tried.

leanza 04-01-2010 04:30 PM

also heard that China is opening their markets back up to American pork. That also might reduce the supply.

txschutte 04-01-2010 05:04 PM

He is right. Pig ranchers around here were losing $, so they decided that lowering production would help their case. It's a double edged sword for me. Many of my customers are big pork producers.

Its the vicious cycle of life, I guess.

drbbq 04-01-2010 05:07 PM

And when the price goes up the farmers will all grow a bunch of hogs and guess what happens then? It's kind of the way that stuff works.

lcbateman3 04-01-2010 05:13 PM

The biggest problem is the cost of grain. It is still through the roof. It's mixed what is being planted around here. Cotton is going up as well because the fast four-five years everyone has been planting corn. So if they reduce corn planting and go to cotton, grain prices go up so beef/pork/poultry prices go up. If they plant more corn, cotton prices go up, clothing, and alot of other items go up.

I'll stop there before I get on a soapbox and get thrown to the woodpile. :)

smoke it if ya got it 04-01-2010 05:21 PM

Oh man! I need another freezer!:rolleyes:

mgwerks 04-02-2010 04:20 AM

That's what I've been telling the wife - more cold storage! She's starting to give me the hinkey-eye, though, as I've started to mumble about a walk-in...

tmcmaster 04-02-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbateman3 (Post 1235975)
The biggest problem is the cost of grain. It is still through the roof. It's mixed what is being planted around here. Cotton is going up as well because the fast four-five years everyone has been planting corn. So if they reduce corn planting and go to cotton, grain prices go up so beef/pork/poultry prices go up. If they plant more corn, cotton prices go up, clothing, and alot of other items go up.

I'll stop there before I get on a soapbox and get thrown to the woodpile. :)

And don't forget about that ridiculousness known as corn ethanol... What a scam...

See ya in the woodpile.

Ford 04-02-2010 06:52 AM

Let's see even if it goes up $0.50 per lb that's only $0.25 per sammy. Cheap approved freezer is $400 and may hold 800 lbs of butts. That's 1600 Sammy's or $400. And I need electric for the freezer and fridge thawing space before cooking. I just don't see the numbers being there. If I had a big walk in Freezer then it would be different.

jbrink01 04-02-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1236566)
Let's see even if it goes up $0.50 per lb that's only $0.25 per sammy. Cheap approved freezer is $400 and may hold 800 lbs of butts. That's 1600 Sammy's or $400. And I need electric for the freezer and fridge thawing space before cooking. I just don't see the numbers being there. If I had a big walk in Freezer then it would be different.

Finally, the voice of reason. Thanks Ford.

Jacked UP BBQ 04-02-2010 09:56 AM

If I can buy 1800 lbs at 1.00 a pound, that is $1800. If I buy 1800 lbs @ 1.35 a pound where it is gonna be in two weeks 2430. I will save 630. I can go through that amount in a month. My freezers are plugged in anyway. If I can play the market and save 630 3 to 4 times a year. You do the math! Spend more if you want, I will continue to work my bottom line!