Catering deposit.

B

bbqjoe

I have been asked once again to cater a Chamber of commerce function.
This won't be until the second week of July.
This far ahead, I believe I am going to ask for a deposit.
What do you catering guys normally charge?

20%?
50%?

What????

50% booking charge...if you word it as a charge and they change their minds it is refundable at your discretion, if you call it a deposit the courts deem it to be refundable, in 95% of all cases. Have it in hand at least 2 weeks ahead of the date.

50% of event charge, payable in advance.

Unless we know them really well.

Typical would be 50%, but you could go lower. Main reason is to cover any expense due to a last minute cancelation.

50% deposit for regular catering functions and ususally $300 to hold for large events such as weddings with 1-2 installment payments up until the date of the function.

50% booking charge...if you word it as a charge and they change their minds it is refundable at your discretion, if you call it a deposit the courts deem it to be refundable, in 95% of all cases. Have it in hand at least 2 weeks ahead of the date.
What if you called it a holding fee?

I like the booking charge myself. If they decide to go with us, I'm sure they won't back out, and I know they have the money.
I did a gig for the Chamber about six months ago, and all were happy.

Just makes me feel more comfortable.

What if you called it a holding fee?

I would think that with the word "fee", you will likely not be bothered by the courts, the main trouble as I understand it is the word "deposit", which has connotations of refundability, in the eyes of the courts.

Note I'm not an attorney at law and you might want to check with one for verification!

Last edited:
50% two weeks before the rest of it the night of the party.

Back