how long and slow is too long and slow?

skidrowe

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had a 6 lb pork shoulder on my egg for over 16 hours. Now and it has just reached 190! I was expecting 12 hours or so cooking at 220 ±. this is only my third butt but the others seemed to be in two hours per pound category.

I have open and and my temps match between my probe and another temperature. any idea what that is happening I am shooting for 195.

16 hours seems a little long..... I would verify your temperature and shoot for a slightly higher temperature like 250 to get the 1.5 hours per pound. Higher temperatures means an even shorter cook time.

Everyone has their own preferred cooking temperature, I've used 250° for over 20 years and it is second nature to me. I'm not willing to change at my age... don't fix what isn't broken. LOL

I put a instant read thermometer and it had the same temperature. I finally pulled it off of 192 it disintegrated in my hand so I guess it's ready. very strange that it took that long. I wonder if I'm cooking it too low...

I put a instant read thermometer and it had the same temperature. I finally pulled it off of 192 it disintegrated in my hand so I guess it's ready. very strange that it took that long. I wonder if I'm cooking it too low...

I think that you figured out a big part of it.

If you cook at that low a temperature, you should be looking at 12 to 14 hours as a guideline. 16 houes for a stubborn butt, possible. Also, the lower you cook the lower the done temperature usually is. However, this is not a harbinger of quality. Most of us cook a little faster, me, I am in the 280F range normally. I consider 225F the minimum, and that is too slow for me.

I used to cook in the 220-240 range but it takes too long. I had 4lb shoulders taking over 12 hours. I now cook in the 260-280 range and love it. Cook time is about 1.5 hours per lb. That is my new low and slow. Just as good if not better than 225 and you eat sooner.

I cooked a 5 lb portion of a butt yesterday at 250 for 8 hours and it seemed it could have staued on a little longer. The thing I noticed was that there was a lot of fat and connective tissue on the butt and I wondered if that was the problem.

If you are only cooking at 220 and want your meat to be 195 when done, that should take awhile. I like low and slow but that is really sloooooow. I'd try 240-250 maybe and see how that works for you. It is all about how much time you have and how you like. I have 2 little kids so a free 16 hours is a fantasy.

Thanks for the help all. Now I am in a real quandary... The wife said it was the best that I have ever done :shock: (though she has not had that many from me). The next one I'll try in The 250 range, though that will cut into the late night entertainment...

Back