The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tri-Tip sandwich vending question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82507)

life like a Buffett song 04-13-2010 10:34 PM

Tri-Tip sandwich vending question

Trying to get a handle on serving size Dose any one have a opinion on what a good serving size is for a sandwich selling for around $8.00 I am in California I know prices will very across the states.

I thought I was giving a good value for my sell price. Then this weekend I was selling at an event where a steak house was doing Santa Maria style TT sandwiches for around the same cost with what appeared to be at least 1/3 more meat. Since I have just been eyeballing the portion I am hoping to get some opinion on cooked weight.

It is very possible they are making nothing on the sandwiches as advertising for the brick and motor business and I am also sure that the meat they are buying is costing less just by volume they buy and possibly they are buying lower quality

I guess I am saying I need a reality check.

Thanks
Bill

big brother smoke 04-14-2010 12:32 AM

If you can't afford to compete with the competition rates, perhaps sell something they are not such as pulled pork sammies.

grillfella 04-14-2010 02:15 AM

I am selling Bollio sized 6 inch rolls santa maria style tri-tip sandwiches for six at a community festival in April. How much meat are you packing in your sandwich?

Chuckwagonbbqco 04-14-2010 09:50 PM

Just because a business has a sign or menu that says "tri-tip" many vendors cheat and use ball tip. Did you see what they were cooking?

landarc 04-14-2010 10:10 PM

I saw a guy in Humboldt County selling tri-tip sandwiches for $8 each on 6" rolls, he was putting in about 4oz of meat. I thought it was a tad high for the area, but, they sold out each of 3 days. In my opinion, it was very lean and tough, I thought probably select beef, not choice beef. Sauce tasted like Cattlemen's and the bread was okay. 1/4lb cooked is enough for a sandwich in most cases.

PorkQPine 04-16-2010 10:50 PM

Don't worry about the competition until you taste his product. Don't lower your quality to meet the competition, that is the kiss of death. You only need to worry if he is putting out the same quality cheaper. Chances are he is going for a cheap price with a lot of meat and quality is low. Find the boat you want to be in, low price or high quality. Tough to do both profitably.

Car Wash Mike 04-18-2010 07:18 PM

I saw a guy seasoning 5lb. "tri-tips" at an event. Give me a break. I serve 5.3 ounces on a 5 inch hoagie for lunch. Sliced thin, looks like a ton of meat.

tjus77 04-19-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car Wash Mike (Post 1254731)
I saw a guy seasoning 5lb. "tri-tips" at an event. Give me a break. I serve 5.3 ounces on a 5 inch hoagie for lunch. Sliced thin, looks like a ton of meat.

That is the key... slice it thin so it looks like more, start with 1/4 lb then go to 1/3 if it doesn't sell well, with a sign.. "NOW MORE MEAT". just a thought.

Bigmista 04-19-2010 12:31 PM

I sell 4oz on a hamburger bun for $5.50 and 6oz. on a steak roll for $8. Now mine isn't grilled "Santa Maria" style. I smoke it and slice it thin.