Can you cover your kettle when it is hot?

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is a very n00bish question, but I was wondering if the Weber branded cover for the kettle grill can be placed on when the grill is still warm. I recently bought a new 22" OTG and was cooking last night in the rain. I was about to cover the grill after I took the food off when I had this horrible vision of plastic melting to my shiny black dome of deliciousness. So, how much do you need to let it cool off before putting the cover on? Are there better covers out there? The one I have for my Chargriller Smoker pro is more of a canvas type material that holds up to heat pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

I have the black heavy duty Weber covers and don't put them back on until they are cool to the touch.

I wouldn't risk it. Besides the fire risk, it might be a real pain to clean off the kettle.

mine sets on a coverd porch so I dont cover mine, my treager set in the garage with the cover on it because it never gets used:doh:

mine sets on a coverd porch so I dont cover mine, my treager set in the garage with the cover on it because it never gets used:doh:

I sacraficed parking space in my carport for que.:bow:

No you cannot put the cover on when it is hot. You need to make sure it is cool to the touch all over before you cover with one of those black plastic things.

You may want to make sure and clean the ash out before covering too, when mixed with moisture, you will make a very caustic mix of ash and condensation that is in no way good for the kettle base.

Time to build a covered smoking area- you wouldn't want your tools to get rusty!!

If it's raining just close all the vents and don't worry about it. Later when then rain stops and the kettle is cool to the touch you can give it a quick wipe down and cover it.

Thanks for the feedback all. I covered it after it was cooled down and then removed the cover today when the weather was nicer to let everything dry out. I live in a townhouse, so adding a covered work area isn't really an option just yet.

In the future, if it gets wet, wait until it's dry to cover it. If you cover a wet grill and forget, it's not pretty.

I keep mine covered always. I'll be darned if mother nature or anyone touches my kettle. I wait until it cools before putting the cover on. Better safe than sorry.

Back