The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Post: Rub Showdown!!! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161379)

b182evrclear 05-20-2013 08:22 PM

First Post: Rub Showdown!!!

Hi Everyone! Long time lurker, first post.

Last week I received my first order of rubs from Big Poppa Smokers and decided I'd post my impressions of each, numerically. I'm not going to rate them per say, but would like to offer my opinion of them based on three flavors: Sweat, Heat, and Savory (saltiness). Each category is weighted and the total will add up to 10 to make up the overall flavor profile.

The tasting was simply a finger dip straight to my tongue. I did my best to cleanse my pallet between each taste with water and honey.

The Stars:

Plowboy's Yardbird
Simply Marvelous Sweat and Spicy
Big Poppa Smokers Money
3Eyz BBQ
Big Bob Gibsons

I chose these rubs based on lots of reading on the forum to get myself started into the world of commercial rubs. Without further adieu, the ratings...

Plowboy's Yardbird
Sweat: 2
Heat: 4
Savory: 4

Delicious and very savory. It's true when they say it goes great on everything except ice cream. While tasting it I draw similarities to Lowry's Season Salt but it's much more appealing.

SM Sweat & Spicy
Sweat: 4
Savory: 2

Least savory of the bunch but still very delicious. I have yet to cook with it but can't wait to try it on ribs and pork butt. I think I may like layering it with the Yardbird since their profiles are fairly opposite to my taste.

BPS Money
Sweat: 3
Savory: 3

I enjoyed this one as well. It is noticeably larger grained then the previous two, and it causes bigger, more distinct, pops of flavor on your tongue. I would also say it's the most complex of the bunch. Can't wait to cook with it! I feel like it would work well on any meat in moderation.

3Eyz BBQ
Heat: 3

Not surprisingly, this one is also delicious. I would say it's the most balanced of the bunch which should lend it well to any meat. I could see layering this one with any of the other rubs to round out their flavors.

Big Bob Gibson
Heat: 3

Another really good rub which is nicely balanced but on the sweater side. It has a nice profile that should work well with pork and chicken.

Hopefully, I will post some of my first pron soon showing these exceptional rubs in use. One thing I will note is that what everyone says about commercial rubs is true. It's tough to make a homemade one taste better even with a lot of tweaking. There should be no shame in using them!

Thanks everyone for reading and if you would like to add your own input on the subject feel free! Everyone's taste are different.

1911Ron 05-20-2013 08:30 PM

Good write up. i think however your flavor profile will change once you cook with it, the only thing that stays the same is the saltiness.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 05-20-2013 08:42 PM

Very interesting. I agree with Ron about cooking changing the flavors. Be sure to repeat your experiment as you use them so we can all see the comparisons.

Q Junkie 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

Awesome write up. I am a little confused on the "sweat" profile though.

b182evrclear 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

Hmmm. Well that's a little surprising to me. I guess I have some adventure ahead. I'll update as I cook!

b182evrclear 05-20-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q Junkie (Post 2488100)
Awesome write up. I am a little confused on the "sweat" profile though.

That's that extra layer of salty funk!

Sorry! Always get those two mixed up.

Q Junkie 05-20-2013 08:56 PM

Salty Funk is the secret ingredient. (or George Clinton)

ButtBurner 05-21-2013 04:25 AM

I also think its real hard to tell until you actually cook with them

lantern 05-21-2013 06:10 AM

Good job. trying new things is the spice of life. Okay.....bad joke.:oops:

Anyway, when you get done with these I recommend trying some of Dizzy pig's offerings as well as Wolf rub. You can't buy wolf rub anymore but you can buy the recipe for all three rubs from Larry himself. The original and bold are still staples around my house after 3 years.

oifmarine2003 05-21-2013 07:45 AM

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!