• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gas grill cookers

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone ever use wood chips in a metal box for gras grill? Yes I said it gas grill. Sometimes it's more convenient to use on the weekdays after work....anyone use these? Are they worth it for the small time they are being grilled?

i have used wood chips in a metal "v" shaped box that fits between the flavor bars of my gas weber. it works ok, I usually fire up the grill, put the smoker box on the side i won't be using to cook, and let it start smolder and smoke, then will lower the flames on that side of the grill so it won't turn to flames. It works ok, I think the A-Maze-N pellet smoker would do better. I have one but haven't tried it yet in my gaser.

Anyone ever use wood chips in a metal box for gras grill? Yes I said it gas grill. Sometimes it's more convenient to use on the weekdays after work....anyone use these? Are they worth it for the small time they are being grilled?

I do it occasionally in my big crown verity gas grills. They make a box that goes right on the radiant. I found the amazen tube smoker works better though.

I don't see why not. I have a Weber Summit gasser. It came with a stainless box for wood chips. Works okay for adding a little smokey flavor. People also make an aluminum pouch to hold wood chips. I've used the pouch method too.

My Weber Summit has the wood chip box on the side and I enjoyed using it before I got my most recent smoker. The only down side was that the chips would only last about 45 min. or so. I soaked them in water but they still burned out in under an hour. You just have to be prepared to re-load if you want to keep the smoke going. It definately adds a great smokey flavor though.

Anyone ever use wood chips in a metal box for gras grill? ...anyone use these? Are they worth it for the small time they are being grilled?

Sure. I have one that I use on occasion. If I'm doin' wings or such with indirect heat.
A little smoke is always good!

I bought one of those cast iron boxes for my Weber, but after one or two uses, I found foil pouches were easier. That box gets hot (Duh!) and reloading it is a pain. I started balancing the lid from box between the left wall of the grill and across the top of the left most flavor bar. I then make up a couple pouches of wood chips du joir with a bunch holes cut through the top. Once I get my temp stablized, throw the meat on the right and a pouch on top of that box lid. I replace the pouch every hour or so when it seems to stop making any smoke or smell.

I'm currently doing that now. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor and it's basically my only option. I bought a 4 bag mix that came with the metal box, but I still use foil packets also. I have found that leaving the box/packets in the grill on the indirect side you're cooking on while you heat the grill will help get smoke quicker. Also, I soak my chips for a couple hours beforehand.

Last edited:
Most of my grilling is done on my gasser...I use a handful of chips wrapped in foil for smoke. No need to poke holes in it...the smoke finds its way out...:cool:

Most of my grilling is done on my gasser...I use a handful of chips wrapped in foil for smoke. No need to poke holes in it...the smoke finds its way out...:cool:

works for me also

I had a cast iron box that was about an inch tall with several slits in the top of the lid. I found that soaking the wood did nothing but prevent them from burning till they where dry and then they burn and make the smoke. I found that by leaving the lid off I could slip chips through the grate into the box and get some smoke flavor that way.

It's better than nothing.

I have a Weber Summit with a smoke box. Works well. If I want to SMOKE some meat I use my Rebel 17 smoker. :bored::drama:

Back