Weber Performer vs. a simple chimney starter

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I know this is near blasphemy on the forum with all the love for the Weber but I found a good deal on Weber Performer then I just got to thinking, What does the performer really give me over a chimney starter? Is there any benefit to the Performer in terms of the start speed or otherwise that I don't get from using the chimney?

Thanks
Sam

Convenience is a big deal. Especially if you really want to cook on charcoal, the Performer makes lighting up as easy as gas. I would own one if not for the price.

Use both. Chimney starter over the gas assist. Easy breezy. And of course the table. Everyone should have at least one ;-)

Use both. Chimney starter over the gas assist. Easy breezy. And of course the table. Everyone should have at least one ;-)

I can start charcoal prolly 5 different ways. The table/workspace is great.
I just bought another SS Performer today and the gas assist was the last thing I considered. This one was BLUE!
I doubt I'll ever need the gas assist but, it came with two 5 lb tanks and a heavy duty cover.

I'm convinced. It didn't take much :wink: thanks for the replies

Yeah that table I love. I don't have the gas assist but I think the table was worth the extra. It looks pretty awesome too, it's a focal point on my deck. :mrgreen:

Although it doesn't work for all cooking applications, you can really increase the start speed if you keep the charcoal in the baskets. All you have to do the next time is knock them together to get the ash off, maybe add some new charcoal, and then fire it up again. Almost as fast as a gas grill if you do that.

You can get a Performer with or with out gas assist. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

SSPs (w/ gas)- a nifty all-in-one package. They are so freaking cool, why NOT have one? (in every color)

You've got your SS work surface, push-button lighter, grate hanger, and a tub for keeping the beer cold. The only thing Weber forgot was the bottle opener.

Last edited:
Gas assist is terrific... with a chimney starter. Oil some newspaper, pack it in, then add the charcoal and fire up the gas assist. You only need it on 30 seconds and then the starter takes over. I little tank of gas will then last you ages.

Cheers!

Bill

I chose a 22 1/2" OTG over a Performer, for several reasons.
I use a high output propane torch to light my OTG, as well as my WSMs.
My BernzOMatic JT-850 gets the charcoal going in a jiffy.

Table, grate hanger, charcoal bin (beer cooler, just add ice :becky:), lid sling, stable platform for moving, thermo in lid, propane assist lighting..... I also use a chimney with paper for lighting & just touch it & its going.

ALSO (and this I found to be a big selling point for me) if you like to cook on your Performer in the low & slow range (which I do), the propane assist is perfect for lighting 6-10 briquettes without a chimney, which can be difficult, without the use of a weed burner, etc.

I have 2 Performers & IMO they are everything Weber didn't have on all the other kettles.... Can't wait for the 26.75" Performer to come out (I HOPE!)

I always thought the gas assist was totally unnecessary, until I got one. They are awesome, and the table goes without saying.

I have a performer with the gas assisted start. I use it just because it's there. I have lit my chimney in a lot of different ways and I don't think the performer starts it any faster than a weber starter cube does. Obviously some here believe that it does and I suppose it could if you left the burner on for a long time. I typically run my starter for 3 minutes or so and then wait 15-20 mins for the coals to get going fully before cooking. I could have saved $50 buy buying the performer model without the assist. I like the convenience of it. "Worth" is subjective...

I have a performer with the gas assisted start. I use it just because it's there. I have lit my chimney in a lot of different ways and I don't think the performer starts it any faster than a weber starter cube does. Obviously some here believe that it does and I suppose it could if you left the burner on for a long time. I typically run my starter for 3 minutes or so and then wait 15-20 mins for the coals to get going fully before cooking. I could have saved $50 buy buying the performer model without the assist. I like the convenience of it. "Worth" is subjective...

Good to head you think the assist isn't much faster than cubes since I LOVE using the cubes. Makes me feel better since I don't have the assist function on mine and better about recommending to people to get a Performer without it if they don't mind cubes.

I've got a mid-90s Performer I bought on Craig's List a while ago. The tank is past certification so I haven't been able to get it refilled after it ran out. I've just been using a chimney starter and been happy with it. It's worth it for the table and the Weber quality.

I've had my performer with the gas assist for about 2 years now. I've never used the assist. Haven't even bought a bottle of gas for it. I think it's because I really like zoning out watching the chimney catch...and I'm LAZY with a capital "L" y'all.

The gas assist is my favorite thing about the Performer. I put chimney starter full of coals on the bottom grate with no paper, oil or anything. Turn on gas for about 5-10 seconds then push the button. Leave gas on for 30-60 seconds tops and thats it. I didn't know it would be that easy.

Back