Lang 60D Cover?

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
I have a Lang 60D that sits in the backyard, next to the house when it's not fired up. I don't have the ability to store it in a garage or barn, so it's at the mercy of the weather. I do keep a tarp over it, with bungy cords holding it down to keep it from the big rains......but has anyone had a custom cover built for theirs, or know of anyone that makes them? Thanks!

Sorry, no custom cover here... I normally just leave her uncovered and in 3+ years she is fine. No rust any where.

not that I have a trailer smoker, but there are places that make custom covers/tarps out there. I bet if you found one, they would make one heck of a cover for you. a fitted cover would look alot better in the backyard than a green tarp Im guessing

I would probably stick with a decent tarp for cost reasons. However, I would use some pieces of wood to create space for air circulation to prevent moisture build up.

Check your local marina, I bet they know someone who makes custom boat covers and they should be able to do something for you.

FWIW, I was going to have a cover made for my pop-up travel trailer, basically just a big cube shape. It was going to cost me about $350!! Custom covers are not cheap, and I would imagine a custom BBQ cover would be even more, if you wanted a custom fit.

Matt

Here could be a problem...a tarp will actually trap moisture IN.
Its a big chunk os steel, a couple months of weather aint gonna hurt it.

I got to thinking about your dilemma and I’m not all that sure that you should cover it. Let me explain. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine had to have his A/C condenser unit replaced because of rust.

According to the tech, the reason for the rust was the fact that he had a cover on it. Moisture built up on the inside of the cover and had no place to go so it just sat on the unit under a dark colored cover that would heat up when the sun was shining. This allowed the moisture to melt and do its damage to the unit.

My Lang has sat outside for the almost four years in Chicago weather and it shows no sign of rust and has never had a cover. Now I do “Winterize” it by getting it heated up and ‘painting/rubbing’ it down with bacon fat. Yes, bacon fat. This cooker is nothing more than an odd shaped cast iron pan. Treat it as such and you shouldn’t have any problems. Now I do have to ‘paint’ the fire box 2-3 times a year with the fat simply because of the abuse it takes but the fat keeps it protected and it drives both my neighbors and their dogs nuts!

Interesting Thread. I have a Lang 60 and I too keep it covered with a very heavy duty tarp. I understand what you are saying and to be honest to only place water would get in is through the smoke stack and I could keep it covered with a bucket. Interesting, thanks for the thoughts. Of course my dear wife would probably raise cain if I have a bright orange Home Depot Bucket hanging on my smoker out in the yard.

Interesting Thread. I have a Lang 60 and I too keep it covered with a very heavy duty tarp. I understand what you are saying and to be honest to only place water would get in is through the smoke stack and I could keep it covered with a bucket. Interesting, thanks for the thoughts. Of course my dear wife would probably raise cain if I have a bright orange Home Depot Bucket hanging on my smoker out in the yard.

Moisture doesnt have to get in to be there.

Look up condensation. :thumb:

I actually only cover with the tarp when big rain is expected, and have a contractors black trash bag over the smoke stack at all times when not cooking. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and keep the welding steel brush and black 1200 degree paint handy!!

I have done some research today, and have found "breathable" material that is used for grills and smokers, but it would be $1200 for a custom cover. He said it is guaranteed not to make condensation that would lead to rust, just like any good grill cover. But for $1200 I can buy a lot, and for $6 can of 1200 degree black paint, and some TLC when the firebox is looking beat up, I'll be fine!!!!!!! Thanks guys!

I actually only cover with the tarp when big rain is expected, and have a contractors black trash bag over the smoke stack at all times when not cooking. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and keep the welding steel brush and black 1200 degree paint handy!!

I have done some research today, and have found "breathable" material that is used for grills and smokers, but it would be $1200 for a custom cover. He said it is guaranteed not to make condensation that would lead to rust, just like any good grill cover. But for $1200 I can buy a lot, and for $6 can of 1200 degree black paint, and some TLC when the firebox is looking beat up, I'll be fine!!!!!!! Thanks guys!

Save the paint and the $6... Give the Bacon grease a shot, I won't hurt it and you won't have the prep for the paint....

Great thread.....I just bought a Lang 60D w/longneck chargrill (40") about a month ago. I certainly don't want to leave it out in the weather, but I have no place to put it.
So, you guys agree that it's best to NOT cover it?
I'll try the bacon grease trick (I do have some rusty places starting to show up on the firebox).

Sure is a heck of a "patio model" huh? :crazy:

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 98
Great thread.....I just bought a Lang 60D w/longneck chargrill (40") about a month ago. I certainly don't want to leave it out in the weather, but I have no place to put it.
So, you guys agree that it's best to NOT cover it?
I'll try the bacon grease trick (I do have some rusty places starting to show up on the firebox).

Sure is a heck of a "patio model" huh? :crazy:

craned that baby over the house? lol

Back