Assistance with new backyard patio

Mat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting a new paver patio done in the next few weeks.

I was leaning towards a nice outdoor kitchen with built in grill, side burner, sink etc. But when I started thinking about it, I rarely use my propane grill in favor for a small charcoal grill. I use the propane in a pinch or if I have a very large group over.

So now I think the cost of the above would be a major waste. I am looking for an idea or examples of what the "feature" item could be instead of a gas bbq kitchen.

Maybe a charcoal pit?

Just confused and have a serious case of writers block per say.

Side note......

I gave two back doors. French doors in kitchen and a slider in my dining room which are next to each other. The doors are about 20 feet apart.

Would you close up the slider in the dining room? Or would you rather two entrances?

Thanks guys

Mat

The doors are a matter of choice to what works best for you.

You could get a nice Weber Performer and a nice insulated smoker would round off the use of your patio nicely.

You would have the grill for hot and fast and a very efficient mid-sized smoker for entertaining larger gatherings.

I would go with a bar with sitting area. Google paver patio bar in a image search for some ideas

Putting in a patio also. Can't go wrong with two entrances. You aren't forced to run a party through one door. Doing mine in two phases. Patio with new pellet pooper then walls next year. Built ins are great and look awesome but there isn't much flexibility with it. Good luck.

I would go with the gas grill and get a good one. I wouldn't hesitate to have a BGE or something else, but, I would want the gas grill, as it allows for a lot of flexibility, speed and someplace to put the "know-it-all" griller.

Thanks for the replies. Doing mine in stages too. Just not sure if the feature item will be now or in spring. Depends what it is.

I'll look into a bar. I'm just not sure how a bar would be without a cover/overhang. Now we're talking two year project haha.

I would go with the gas grill and get a good one. I wouldn't hesitate to have a BGE or something else, but, I would want the gas grill, as it allows for a lot of flexibility, speed and someplace to put the "know-it-all" griller.

I have a two year old brinkman 6 burner. It would still be in use.

I can't justify the price tag of 4k for a gas grill insert. I'll tell my wife we're doing red bricks and I'll get a meadow creek trailer lol

I'd just get a 22.5 Kettle and a Purty UDS to go with ur gasser and a All weather Table and spend the savings on a nice Patio Cover so you can hide from Sun, Cook in the Rain, Protect ur Cookers. I'd keep both Doors. I Love my Covered back porch/patio for cooking on in all weathers.

My version of a featured grill/smoker in my patio space (XL BGE). Can do everything with this versatile machine.

ry%3D480

Build a Rocket Stove..:....or a Hot Tub.......:wink:

Last edited:
I'll upload some pics I took. Let me get to a computer. Not that easy on an iPhone

please dont mind the long bushes. i knew i was doing this patio at some point this summer, well now fall, and i refused to cut something I'm removing lol.

Oh and if you're wondering about the french doors to the right, yes the previous homeowner just put them in with no steps. Just the old single door stoop. Its a long first step if you use those doors........

Mobility of the pit is a great advantage when entertaining.
I mean if you have a breeze in the wrong direction and the smoke is blowing to the area where the guests are, or one of those swirling types, your guests are smoked out.
I'd personally go with a non-permanent set up.
But if you're set on it being built in, make sure you consider your predominent wind direction in the setting of the pit.

just my .02 cents

Back