The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What did I buy?? Help... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156084)

tony.shuda 03-13-2013 03:42 PM

What did I buy?? Help...

4 Attachment(s)
Long time lurker, first time poster. Long story short, I purchased what I think is an EP 330 in Natural Gas from a person on Craigslist. When I got home I discovered that it had a regulator attached to it :wacko:

I called Weber with the SN. They told me that it was indeed an EP 330 in NG. They also said that it left the factory with a 10' hose with Quick Disconnect.

So here's the problem. I sent Weber the pictures below and asked them if they could tell me if the guts (bulkhead and manifold) were swapped on the grill. They were not able to.

I think it's obvious that the previous owner attempted to convert this grill. How do I know if he stopped at the regulator or if he swapped any other parts?

Help!

fweck 03-13-2013 03:50 PM

It's supposed to have a regulator. Read the caution that is on the label in the second picture.

ButtBurner 03-13-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fweck (Post 2405911)
It's supposed to have a regulator. Read the caution that is on the label in the second picture.

Yeah, but that regulator looks like it screws onto a propane tank, not NG

MS2SB 03-13-2013 04:00 PM

If you bought it off CG, can't you just contact the seller and ask him how far he got with his conversion?

mbshop 03-13-2013 04:01 PM

that looks like it would work but if the jets have not been changed then it might not work correctly.

ButtBurner 03-13-2013 04:02 PM

I think the jets are stamped with some kind of identifying mark so they dont get mixed up

tony.shuda 03-13-2013 04:05 PM

The seller is not responding to my emails or calls.

Per Weber CSR, Natural Gas grills don't have regulators. They ship with a 10' hose with quick detach.

Groundhog66 03-13-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony.shuda (Post 2405929)
The seller is not responding to my emails or calls.

He took the money, and took the phone off the hook. :laugh:

Hopefully you can get it all sorted out...

Porcine Perfection 03-13-2013 04:17 PM

I would take it to a place that specializes in gas grills. They will be more than happy to look at it for you as you will probably need parts from them.

Good luck!

Meat & Heat 03-13-2013 10:16 PM

The burner orifices should be marked with either an lp or ng on them, most of the time they are stamped in sometimes color coded. If you have the manual it should tell you.
You are correct that is a propane regulator, a natural gas regulator will have either a 1/2ips or 3/8ips female threaded end on it. I would call the manufacturer back and get infor on the orifices then start there.
If you run propane with the natural gas orifice the flame will be about three times the size as the hole is larger than a propane one.

Good luck.

treytexag 03-14-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat & Heat (Post 2406524)
The burner orifices should be marked with either an lp or ng on them, most of the time they are stamped in sometimes color coded. If you have the manual it should tell you.
You are correct that is a propane regulator, a natural gas regulator will have either a 1/2ips or 3/8ips female threaded end on it. I would call the manufacturer back and get infor on the orifices then start there.
If you run propane with the natural gas orifice the flame will be about three times the size as the hole is larger than a propane one.

Good luck.

That's right, since the heating value of NG is around 1,000 btu/scf and the heating value of propane is about 2,500 btu/scf.

I think the original poster wants to run NG. I'm not giving you any advice, and YMMV, but if that were mine, I'd remove the propane regulator and short piece of attached hose, then I would simply run my flexible NG hose to the grill and try it out. If the original seller converted it to run propane, you won't be able to get enough NG to the burners to run on "high". I'm an Engineer, and I do not recommend you do what I would do here.

Again, YMMV.

Johnny_Crunch 03-14-2013 06:32 AM

I hope you bought it cheap. I would just swap out the hose and light it to see what I got.

tony.shuda 03-14-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treytexag (Post 2406679)
That's right, since the heating value of NG is around 1,000 btu/scf and the heating value of propane is about 2,500 btu/scf.

I think the original poster wants to run NG. I'm not giving you any advice, and YMMV, but if that were mine, I'd remove the propane regulator and short piece of attached hose, then I would simply run my flexible NG hose to the grill and try it out. If the original seller converted it to run propane, you won't be able to get enough NG to the burners to run on "high". I'm an Engineer, and I do not recommend you do what I would do here.

Again, YMMV.

Good call. I have the hose coming to me from Weber. Now that I understand the heating value, I can test and find out for myself. Thanks for the advice!

I got the grill for 450 so I think I should be ok