• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

deer shoulder

I treat them almost like sirloin tip. Very lean. Smoke at 300 until IT is 125 and then rest. Shave for Philly steaks. You can also wrap in onions and bacon and cook until internal temp is 125 or 130. Do not over cook or you are better off eating your sandal. Done right, venison is awesome.

a family friend was grilling some venison over the 4th of july, just salt and pepper, grill to med-rare at most, and then he cut it into chunks and put it into a mix of soy sauce and melted butter, it was the best tasting venison aside from the heart/backstrap i've ever had. This was a mule deer shoulder he cooked.

A deer shoulder benefits from spending some time in foil after the initial smoke penetration. I like to add some apple juice when foiling. I treat them about like pork ribs with a 3,2,1 treatment.. It really depends on the thickness of the shoulder. I like salt, pepper and rosemary seasoning.

I know this is going to sound expensive but soak the meat in a milk bath first. Similar to brineing. Watch the milk turn pink and enjoy the best deer meat you've ever tasted.

Lots of good hints above. The three I really second are smoking at 300-325, taking off heat and resting at 125-130 internal, and I love pecan with my venison.

Sometimes it is hard to compare venison to other meats so those new to it can get an idea of how to cook it. Something that is thicker and boneless but cooks in a similar manner due to its lean nature might be Baltimore-style pit beef. They use large roasts from the round and it is quite lean. It is usually cooked to med-rare and sliced thin.

One tip that I would add is to make sure all fat (tallow) and connective tissue/ membranes are thoroughly trimmed on your venison. It takes some time but makes for a much better product from either the oven, stovetop, grill or smoker.

One tip that I would add is to make sure all fat (tallow) and connective tissue/ membranes are thoroughly trimmed on your venison. It takes some time but makes for a much better product from either the oven, stovetop, grill or smoker.

This is good advise. Especially remove the tallow, if there is any. It is likely already removed if the person who broke the deer down did a good job. Tallow is a hard fat that is on the outside of the muscle between the muscle and the hide. It does not taste good and does not render. You can usually just peel it off with your hands. It is easier to trim up if your meat is cold. I stick mine in the freezer for about 15 mins to let it firm up before I trim it.

The ribs will be hard because the meat to fat ratio and how it all blends together. Lots of tendents too. If you do them cook them like normal ribs but the cut all the meat off the bones then chop them up in small chunks. Then re add more rub and make them like brunt ends. Add a
Some almost cooked bacon cover with sause mix it all up and eat.

Back