The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Are you injecting your chicken thighs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146816)

McEvoy AZ 10-27-2012 04:10 PM

Are you injecting your chicken thighs

How many of you are injecting your chicken thighs and if you are what are you using to inject into them?

boogiesnap 10-27-2012 05:34 PM

well, my vote is obvious, but i do use oakridge game changer soak. it tastes really great. too bad i fark em up from that point on...

Outnumbered 10-27-2012 07:36 PM

I have not, but why the hell not? It can't hurt our chicken scores.

K-Train 10-27-2012 09:32 PM

Tried once didn't walk, but had a good showing.

altomari8868 10-27-2012 11:58 PM

I was using the Game changer brine. I just goy the "Grill" product from Butchers. It is injectable. I used it today and LOVED the results... Let me also say that when I ordered the product I had an issue and David was awesome to deal with. He is a great guy who helped me out. Because of this he will always have my business. THANKS again David! :clap2:

Smokin' Bad Habit 10-28-2012 06:58 AM

i also use game changer brine, great stuff

Smitty250 10-29-2012 03:53 PM

I've never injected my thighs - I'm not opposed to trying it out but I've had pretty good results without injecting. I've seen/heard of people injecting everything from butter to chicken stock to commercial injections. Do a practice run with different injections and see how you like the results!

Crash 10-30-2012 04:17 AM

We have injected thighs and some of our best scores have come from injected thighs.

That being said, we also had a KCBS judge refuse to taste a 175* thigh because the meat looked pinkish. An 8 2 2 could possibly derail your day in chicken if you inject with anything red or orange.....just sayin'! Definitely learned a lesson that day.

We no longer inject thighs.

RibnOneOff 10-30-2012 05:40 AM

That judge should have been corrected and instructed how to tell raw chicken from cooked!

QTEX 10-30-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RibnOneOff (Post 2259282)
That judge should have been corrected and instructed how to tell raw chicken from cooked!

+1 thats true

jmcrig 10-30-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 2259275)
We have injected thighs and some of our best scores have come from injected thighs.

That being said, we also had a KCBS judge refuse to taste a 175* thigh because the meat looked pinkish. An 8 2 2 could possibly derail your day in chicken if you inject with anything red or orange.....just sayin'! Definitely learned a lesson that day.

We no longer inject thighs.

I believe that was the same judge that said cooks that used MSG were trying to hurt his wife and shouldn't be allowed to compete.

QTEX 10-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrig (Post 2259464)
I believe that was the same judge that said cooks that used MSG were trying to hurt his wife and shouldn't be allowed to compete.

Maybe that judge needs to go judge golf or dog shows or? Just sayin

RangerJ 10-30-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrig (Post 2259464)

Yeah, prolly every team out there has something with MSG in it, all deviously plotting to hurt his wife...

route66 10-31-2012 02:10 AM

I have not injected chicken as it is very accommodating and grabs flavor from anything near but have always wanted to experiment. Looking at my chicken scores maybe I need to look into it. I have seen a team inject after finishing their box and they did well which makes me wonder what the judges thoughts on what the juicy burst was like, with that said I have also seen the same team get a DAL with the same process. Chicken is such a fickled item. If I have to eat chicken it is lightly marinated and grilled to perfection.

route66 10-31-2012 02:19 AM

I missed the red chicken post and feel your pain. I used to use a Pomegranate base to my marinade and that along with smoked chicken being pink my customers would point out the meat was underdone and pink. A couple times I tried to teach them the difference but learned if the customer sees pink on chicken I was wrong and never used anything red in the marinade and sought out brown flavors to use. (Yellow food coloring helps too!)