The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Superior Smokers SS-2 Crash Course (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175698)

peeps 11-20-2013 03:38 PM

Superior Smokers SS-2 Crash Course

So, as many of you know, I am one lucky SOB who managed to snag a Superior SS-2 through the Empty Stocking Fund donation/raffle campaign put on by abangs and the Gainesville Jaycees with some sweet prizes donated by some awesome vendors! I have thanked all those involved many times already today and it just doesn't seem sufficient!

I had never even heard of one of these types of smokers before joining the Brethren a few months ago.

So, I have done a bit of digging on operating this guy and would love some super helpful pro-tips from you experienced gravity fed guys. Feel free to add to my list:
  • Stock up on Stubbs briquettes (seems to be the consensus for consistency vs lump in some quick searching..plus I like running it in Major)
  • Throw some wood chunks in the ash pan
  • Buy a grease drip pan (but what size?)
  • Light half a chimney worth of charcoal in the chute with help of a starter cube, then load the chute.
  • Let the temp settle in and load that rib cookin' machine up with loads and loads of ribs
  • Sit back, relax, and pop a cold one, or two...or eight.
  • Stuff my face

I'm assuming I can keep the chute loaded anytime I use it and just choke out the fire after each use, then just re-up the chute with more Stubbs?

One day soon I will probably get a wifi Guru/Stoker/Heatermeter. Is the 10cfm just right or is it overkill and the 4-6 cfm units would suffice?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

cpw 11-20-2013 03:42 PM

Step 1. Drive to Georgia.
Step 2. Drop off at my house.
Step 3. Enjoy!

ajstrider 11-20-2013 03:47 PM

Sounds good, 10cfm fan would be perfect. Thr fan has its own damper that allows you to reduce its output. Congratulations on the awesome prize. The relighting of the smoket is the interesting part. I've seen people use weed burners and also weber starter cubes on a firebrick to relight the bottom of the charcoal chute where the fire burns. People do use lump in them if you prefer it, they just break up the large pieces to avoid bridging issues.

Jason TQ 11-20-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2701168)
Step 3. Enjoy!

Simple yet could work very well :-P.

Peeps sounds like you have it outlined pretty good to me. I think the 10cfm fan is what most folks run.

peeps 11-20-2013 03:55 PM

I just spoke with Kevin to arrange shipment and he said even the 6.5 cfm PartyQ would run this thing like a champ! So, I'll evaluate my options and total costs and see which one will suit me best. I'm sort of a gadget dork, so it will likely be a wifi unit :becky:

peeps 11-20-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2701168)
Step 3. Enjoy!

What am I dropping off? The SS-2 don't fit in any of my vehicles and loading it up isn't listed in your steps? I'll bring you a lump o' coal, how 'bout that? :thumb:

Goddahavit 11-20-2013 04:05 PM

I would light it from the bottom, using a map or plumbers torch.

I would also use lump, i use royal oak, as i can got it reasonable, and close.

if you leave charcoal briquets in the shoot, they may take on moisture and swell, i do this with lump, but it does not seem to hold moisture the way briquets can.

i can pretty much now time my cooks, so i just run it empty and put fresh in.

enjoy.

grillinguy247 11-20-2013 04:06 PM

Don't know anything about gravity fed but Congrats. And for a good cause to. :clap2:

peeps 11-20-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddahavit (Post 2701200)
I would light it from the bottom, using a map or plumbers torch.

I would also use lump, i use royal oak, as i can got it reasonable, and close.

if you leave charcoal briquets in the shoot, they may take on moisture and swell, i do this with lump, but it does not seem to hold moisture the way briquets can.

i can pretty much now time my cooks, so i just run it empty and put fresh in.

enjoy.

I never had much luck with lump and getting a consistent burn, but I have also never had a cooker designed like this, so I'm sure I'll give lump a go sometime. I'll give it a go in my mini again as well, so I can try to settle on one type for my charcoal cookers (aside from the KBB holiday pricing deals).

SmittyJonz 11-20-2013 04:59 PM

You LUCKY SOB! :-P You better figure out how to Haul it before the Spring Bash!!

peeps 11-20-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2701259)
You LUCKY SOB! :-P You better figure out how to Haul it before the Spring Bash!!

We'll get that worked out :wink: I was waiting for you to read this... :becky:

SmittyJonz 11-20-2013 05:04 PM

Offset StickBurner Lover wins one of my Dream Smokers.......:mmph: :biggrin1:

16Adams 11-20-2013 05:13 PM

Amazing. I will sip some tea in your honor. Dammit.

But seriously good things happen when you do good things. Your support of a worthy cause had a great result. Maybe you could name this smoker "Johnny Smoker"

Firefighter 11-20-2013 05:33 PM

I light my Assassin 28 from the bottom with a propane torch. It works great, takes less than five minutes.

TuscaloosaQ 11-20-2013 05:41 PM

Heck peep all I know is they are Jam up smokers!!!!!! Bring it to Alabama and I will be more than happy to practice on it and then I will help you out!!!! Just because I am that kind of a guy!!!!:grin: