The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cooking in cold weather. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149087)

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-07-2012 08:53 AM

Cooking in cold weather.

I have a cook planed for saturday, but the weather says it will be in the low 30's, and snowing up to an inch. Thinking about canceling, and just grilling steaks for me, and my girlfriend. Question is how hard would it be to fight the weather. I have held temp well at 40 degrees, but it was dry out side.

bmonkman 12-07-2012 09:16 AM

Are you grilling or smoking? Two very different things.

In my limited experience I have found that a high temp grill doesn't get effected by the weather, especially in the 30's. What does effect it is wind and precipitation. If it isn't snowing very hard and it isn't windy then you should be ok. Tow things I suggest, use a chimney to get the coals going and move you grill close to the house so it take advantage of the ambient temperature. ALso, I would use extra coals and get the heat nice an high before you throw the steaks on.

If you are smoking then it really does depend on what you are using and how thin the metal is. Low n' slow is much more susceptible to weather conditions then hot n' fast.

And as others always say, YMWV.

Brian

bigabyte 12-07-2012 09:21 AM

It depends on the cooker you use, but even a thin walled crappy cooker should be able to cook fine in 30 degree weather. You might jsut need a little more fuel is all.

I have cooked at below zero temperatures with my WSM's (as low as -6) without having to do anything more than simply adding more lit coals when doing the Minion method and opening the vents all the way. No problems at all.

High wind though...that's antoher story with those WSM's. At -6 with high wind, that might not work, but I've never had the gift to try and cook in that weather.

You MUST go ahead and cook. Don't let things like the weather get in the way. What if it starts a surprise rain storm mid-cook? Are you just going to give up?

Personally, I enjoy cooking on both the hottest and coldest days of the year, just to spite the weather. Maybe I'm pissing ol' Mother Nature off though, and that's why weather is so weird lately. Al Gore can take all the credit he wants, but it was I who pissed off that old bag.

bmonkman 12-07-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 2290772)
Personally, I enjoy cooking on both the hottest and coldest days of the year, just to spite the weather. Maybe I'm pissing ol' Mother Nature off though, and that's why weather is so weird lately. Al Gore can take all the credit he wants, but it was I who pissed off that old bag.

Amen to that Chris. Totally the way I am wired as well. Though I had a a hard time explaining to people why I walked a mile to work this morning in the rain as opposed to driving.

Brian

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-07-2012 09:46 AM

First off I understand the difference between grilling, and smoking. I was planning on smoking a pork shoulder, and some ribs low, and slow on saturday. If the weather was to bad I planned on switching that to just GRILLING steaks. My pit is heavy non UDS BS. It is 3/8" thick on my main chamber, and 1/2" thick on my fire box. She holds heat just never had her working in the snow. I enjoy cooking in any weather. I will freeze my ass off grilling good steaks when others are making shake, and bake. Or dare I say..... Pan frying a steak :roll::shock::sick::crazy:

bmonkman 12-07-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster (Post 2290793)
First off I understand the difference between grilling, and smoking. I was planning on smoking a pork shoulder, and some ribs low, and slow on saturday. If the weather was to bad I planned on switching that to just GRILLING steaks. My pit is heavy non UDS BS. It is 3/8" thick on my main chamber, and 1/2" thick on my fire box. She holds heat just never had her working in the snow. I enjoy cooking in any weather. I will freeze my ass off grilling good steaks when others are making shake, and bake. Or dare I say..... Pan frying a steak :roll::shock::sick::crazy:

My apologies - I wasn't clear on what you were saying originally. However, when I reread your original post I realize where I went wrong.

Brian

smokainmuskoka 12-07-2012 11:55 AM

Maybe a moving blanket over the food chamber will help too. Wool or cotton, not synthetic that'll melt.

Sounds like your pit won't need that, though.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-07-2012 11:59 AM

Okay I will go through with the cook, and see how it goes. Its supposed to be pretty damn cold though. We will see it will be good to test her out.

grantw 12-07-2012 11:59 AM

Winter here is -30 easy at night. I cook all winter long. Doing a shoulder tonight

smokainmuskoka 12-07-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantw (Post 2290856)
Winter here is -30 easy at night. I cook all winter long. Doing a shoulder tonight

Can I get an amen for another brother north of the 49th Parallel?!!

bmonkman 12-07-2012 12:03 PM

Grantw - where you from in Canada? I lived in Ottawa for over 20 years.

Brian

BobM 12-07-2012 02:09 PM

If it's cold enough to stand outside and have my hands feel numb, I generally don't cook. OK, I'm a wimp. :)

You will be fine, you will just use more fuel.

Good luck!

Bob

Wh1skey6 12-07-2012 03:14 PM

Cold weather aint got nothin on the UDS.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...SnowSeason.jpg

landarc 12-07-2012 03:22 PM

Smoke that butt, don't get chased off. You might need some extra fuel is all. If it's windy, just put up a baffle near your intake, to slow the wind.

And I pan fry steaks by choice, I happen to love a cast iron seared steak, there is always more than one way

Freddy j 12-07-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster (Post 2290855)
Okay I will go through with the cook, and see how it goes. Its supposed to be pretty damn cold though. We will see it will be good to test her out.

Now your talking! Please update how it all goes.

Pugi 12-07-2012 04:29 PM

When I had a cheap offset and had to load it up every hour it was not much fun in the cold. Now with the UDS its no problem. I've used it at around 0* without a issue. Wind is more of a problem than cold. Make sure you can block it somehow if need be. Also the umbrella mod could be deployed if needed. I use binoculars to check temp from inside the warm house.

dano 12-07-2012 04:36 PM

Some have had luck with wrapping some insulation around the outside.

WineMaster 12-07-2012 08:01 PM

You'll be fine. Pits eat fuel in the cold. But winter is my favorite time to BBQ. Beer always stays cold. March 1-2 is The only comp I know of on a frozen lake. Fire & Ice on Lake Millacs

grantw 12-07-2012 11:40 PM

It's only -6f -21c here tonight. Got a pork but in. I'm from manitoba eh

smokainmuskoka 12-08-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantw (Post 2291298)
It's only -6f -21c here tonight. Got a pork but in. I'm from manitoba eh

Ixnay on the "Eh", eh?

aawa 12-08-2012 09:59 AM

Ask PWA about smoking in cold weather. He smokes stuff year round and lives in North Pole, Alaska. I asked him if he knew Santa or any of the elves and he got angry at me.

Mammoth Mountain 12-08-2012 10:18 AM

I throw a welding blanket over my smoking chamber and a couple of cheap moving blankets

Brauma 12-08-2012 10:21 AM

I cook outside year-round. My Eggs don't care what the outside temp is. The only change I make between summer and winter (for me) is what I'm drinking. Beer in summer, bourbon in winter.