smoker protection

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm not sure when but I would love to get an offset stick burner. My problem is that there is no real easy way to store it on the garage. I could "perhaps" bring it to a small shed but would need to remove the stack every time which seems like a major pain.

So my question is how do you guys that leave your offsets outdoors year round protect them? I'll definitely look into getting a cover, but I've read here that oiling helps. You guys coat the outside with Pam or a cooking oil?

Any info will help, thanks in advance!

I use a humungous tarp I got from HF......but it doesn't rain in California....

I use cooking oil and wipe mine down after I cook on it while it's kinda hot then when it cools I have a cover made just for it.

Mine has its own cover.

I would cover it if you can, wiping it down with oil is fine but you cant get in those little cracks and crevices like water can, in between the hinges, etc unless you really work at it

Once I left my cover off because it was still hot and it rained that night, the next day it looked fine until I opened it up and found little specs of rust starting

Also unless your firebox is water tight, water will find its way in there and if you dont have a clean firebox, the ashes and water will make a mess of things real quick

Thanks for the info... at least I know it's not the end of the world to leave your smoker outside year round.

I can not find a cover big enough for mine so I am forced to just keep it painted. Not really big deal take a 1000 deg rattle can paint out 3 times a year and touch it up. do not really have too big of a problem with rust inside.

Thanks for the info... at least I know it's not the end of the world to leave your smoker outside year round.

You think everybody keeps their smoker in a garage? lol :tongue:

Cover for long storage. Keep clean and oiled and rust shouldn't be a problem.

Back