• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "National Burger Month" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
"National Burger Month"

picture.php

as chosen by caseydog, hometruckin and oldyote for sort of co-winning the truncated soul food throwdown.

category description - read before entering

it is national burger month. Let's see if we can get a gazillion entries in this year's Burger Throwdown, like last year -- maybe even more!

C D

You may submit entries that are cooked from friday 5/10 through sunday 5/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central us time on monday morning 5/20.

click here to read the rules for the bbq brethren throwdown...

Please note that this is the entry thread. Quality on-topic discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the discussion thread, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have quality on-topic comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the entry or vote thread.

best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my entry for Burger Month. Haven't had much time as of late, but wanted to get something in...:blah: So my entry starts with the goods. Ground chuck, sirloin, onions, taters, red peppers, onion rolls, cheese, pickles, and seasonings.
100_1707.jpg

Burgers ready. I mixed the ground chuck, sirloin and a package of onion soup mix.
100_1711.jpg

Saute'd up some onion, garlic and red bell peppers to add to the taters. They go in the oven....:twitch:
100_1710.jpg

Burgers on the grill over some light Mesquite
100_1712.jpg

And my OFFICIAL ENTRY..The Big Boy Burger. Topped with double cheddar, pepper jack, pickles, Vadalia onions, bell peppers and some brown mustard. Taters on the side with sour cream and my own garden fresh chives..:biggrin1:

And a bottle of Schlitz...:bow:
100_1714.jpg

My entry, I know it's not a burger, but it's close enough in the vicinity to enter. :doh:

tri1.jpg

tri2.jpg

tri4.jpg

tri3.jpg

Sweetening the red onions up a bit.

tri5.jpg

Time for the sear.

tri6.jpg

Ready to come off!

tri8.jpg

Just right!

tri9.jpg

Tossed the tip, onions, sauce, habanero jack cheese on a ciabatta roll.

tri10.jpg

Please use this pic.

Thanks for stopping by!

Well, a throwdown finally coincided with something I was going to make anyhow..........and with all the throwdown chatter lately, I actually remembered. :loco: I have been on a big blackening kick lately so blackened burgers were on the schedule for Friday night.

Just under 2lbs of 80/20 and half lb of ground short ribs, mixed with some pepper, horseradish, and dried mushrooms which got run through the spice grinder. Damn near forgot the first pic right out of the gate. :doh:

Made them into 5 oz patties and hit them fairly heavy with the blackening seasoning. The seasoning is right out of the Prudhomme book "Lousiana Kitchen" - paprika, kosher salt, onion powder, cayenne, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, and oregano.

Put the burgers in the fridge to ponder their fate and went out side and got everything set up, thought for a minute about doing the burgers right on the grate, but you just can't do blackening without cast iron, so got the griddle ready to go.

As things were coming up to temp, I threw some duck bacon and miscellaneous slices and scraps of home cured belly as well.

Once the bacon got done, I threw some onion in the bacon grease to carmelize as the temps kept climbing on the griddle. Pushed all that to the side and poured some melted butter down, and dropped on a couple of patties and poured butter on top of them.

Gave them a flip and put blue cheese on top. Wanted to get a few more blackened shots, but by now that farking griddle was hot and the action was fast and furious...........blackened doesn't mean burnt. :mrgreen:

Threw some onions on top and got them off of the griddle and into the house.

On toasted bun with a bit of lettuce so it is good for me.

Got so excited to eat that I damn near forgot the bacon. :doh:

Duck and pork bacon added. (Please use this as the "money shot")

Wasn't too impressed with any of the sliced shots, but it seems like it should be added to wrap things up.

Oh man........fantastic flavor. It was so damn rich with the short rib, butter, and duck bacon, that I could only eat one. I wish I would have gotten the blue cheese a little more melted, but the flavor went well with the blackening.

Thanks for looking and good luck to all who enter.

Yeah, take my entry off man. I thought I was pushing it with a sammich. It's not a true burger, I wave the white flag, towel has been thrown. :doh:

Yeah, take my entry off man. I thought I was pushing it with a sammich. It's not a true burger, I wave the white flag, towel has been thrown. :doh:

I'm fine with letting the voters decide. Of, course, entering a tri-tip pannini in a burger throwdown is not something that I would do, but not everyone can live up to my standard of integrity. :drama:

CD :becky:

Here is my entry into the Burger throwdown.

burger1.jpg

Started out with Prep work for the toppings. A Jalapeno was was seeded and deveined and sliced, along with half a small Onion. Home Cured Applewood smoked Bacon and some of the Swiss Cheese that I smoked last month is also on the topping list.

burger2.jpg

The Grilled Onions, and Jalapeno Slices waiting to go onto the Burger

burger3.jpg

The Smoked Swiss melted on the Hamburger, all nice and bubbly

burger4.jpg

Next up is the home cured Applewood Smoked Bacon, Lot's of Bacon... The Lean Ground Beef patty was cooked in the Bacon Drippings for a little extra flavor.

Official Entry shot
burger6.jpg

The Fully Assembled Burger with the Melted Smoked Swiss, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Grilled Onions, and Jalapenos, and a couple of Sweet Pickles all on a toasted bun. Served with sea salt and cracked pepper potato chips

Back